cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 3 Permanent Red Light - Modem Mode

stukey
Dialled in

We have had a constant red light on our Superhub 3 - I’m not sure how long it has been like this. Last week we had an area broadband outage which lasted all day. This morning the internet was completely down again. I restarted the hub but that didn’t resolve the issue. A further power off and then restart of the hub resolved the internet connectivity. However, the bottom status light on the SuperHub3 is still permanently red.

The hub is in modem mode. I would say the colour of the light is definitely red, not purple. According to other posts on this forum, this means the hub is overheating. The hub is quite warm to the touch but not hot. It is stored in an AV unit with an open front and is well ventilated.

I am concerned if this is overheating and could be a fire risk. We’ve definitely had more internet connectivity issues over the last few weeks. I would appreciate advice / guidance on whether we need a replacement hub.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

When in modem mode the light can look quite red rather than Magenta (my hub light looks red in modem mode).  This has been covered several times on here.

If you put your hub into router mode (to try it) does the light still look red?   Just do that, as a test, and you can put back into modem mode after to still have your connection to your own kit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

g0akc
Problem sorter

When in modem mode the light can look quite red rather than Magenta (my hub light looks red in modem mode).  This has been covered several times on here.

If you put your hub into router mode (to try it) does the light still look red?   Just do that, as a test, and you can put back into modem mode after to still have your connection to your own kit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks @g0akc. I will do the check out of hours as I cannot shutdown my internet right now. And understood others have reported the red/magenta confusion. I would say it’s 100% red, there’s no hint of magenta. But I will test and we’ll see what happens and report back.

g0akc
Problem sorter

My hub is in modem mode and light is as red as on a traffic light 🚦 so give it a try when you can

if it stays red with hub in ROUTER mode it’s likely a faulty hub

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there stukey,

Welcome back to the community

To clarify do you still have a red light?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain. Yes I still have a red light on my super hub 3. Haven’t had a chance to take it out of modem mode to test yet. We had a total service outage in my area yesterday as well. Has to reboot the router multiple times. Red light persists. 

Thanks for getting back to us stukey. I'm sorry to hear you were affected by an outage on Friday.

As mentioned by g0akc, sometimes they hub lights may appear slightly different to the advised colours. Sometimes the white light, indicating that the hub is functioning normal may appear a blue or yellow tone - It's nothing to worry about. However to be sure, please do let us know once you've had the chance to test the hub in router mode so we can see if the red light continues. We can, of course, arrange an engineer visit for you then if required. We'd advise to do this at the earliest opportunity in case the hub is overheating; we want to ensure it is swapped out if faulty as soon as possible.

Thanks

Beth

Hi @beth_G.

So sorry it took me so long to reply. I got the chance to test my superhub 3 in router mode today. The light was white (yellow tint) when in router mode. As opposed to red when in modem mode. So I guess this means it’s not overheating and is just showing a red rather than purple light in modem mode. Hopefully everything is okay… Thank you.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply Stukey. 

How have things been since you tested the equipment in router mode? Has the red light returned at all? 

Can you please also feel the Hub and let us know if it is hot to touch. 

Thank you, 

Nat

Hi @Nat

The status light returned immediately to red when I switched the router back to modem mode.

I would say the hub is warm to the touch, but not hot. It’s considerably warmer than any of my other equipment though, e.g. TiVo, Orbi Router, etc.