Menu
Highlighted
Miss_NTL
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3: 2.4G speed and channels

What is the max speed of the 2.4G band of the Hub3? It reports 144.4Mbps. It should be 450Mbps. No?

I set the width to 20/40MHz. I only get one channel 6. I used to have two.6+10. Did imagine it?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3: 2.4G speed and channels

Depends on the receiving device - For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Miss_NTL
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What you are saying is correct but

Where is the second channel on 2.4G (as the width is 40Mhz)?

The max speed of the 2.4G band used to  be 450Mbps, why is it now 144.4?

The support guy told me that the new firmware disabled the second channel  and reduced the speed of the 2.4G band

I use acrylic and an android wifi analyser  for testing.

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

basically the superhub3 is a pile of "toot". I would not bother using it for anything but in modem mode 🙂

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The Hub3 broadcast on both frequency bands simultaneously - unless you have turned one or both off in the Hub settings.
However, out of the box, the SSID's of the 2 bands have the same name - hence you only see one "network" and it wont be obvious which frequency band your device is connecting too (unless its a 2.4 only device of course!) unless you have scanned and proven it.
I suspect when you were getting 450 it was connecting on the 5GHz band. Did you check that ?
You can always disable channel optimisation and rename the SSID's to split the 2 network bands so your devices see both bands separately and you can then select which one each device connects too.  And then of course you can optimise which "channel" each connects to on the 2 bands

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Miss_NTL
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

The Hub3 broadcast on both frequency bands simultaneously - unless you have turned one or both off in the Hub settings.
However, out of the box, the SSID's of the 2 bands have the same name - hence you only see one "network"

I understand this

and it wont be obvious which frequency band your device is connecting too (unless its a 2.4 only device of course!) unless you have scanned and proven it.

I have two scanners!...

I suspect when you were getting 450 it was connecting on the 5GHz band. Did you check that ?

I think the max speed was 450Mbps for 2.4G and 1300Mbps for 5G

You can always disable channel optimisation

Done that

and rename the SSID's to split the 2 network bands so your devices see both bands separately

Done this

and you can then select which one each device connects too. 

I can do this.

And then of course you can optimise which "channel" each connects to on the 2 bands.

Indeed, I cad do this

I want to set up the second channel of the 2.4G band. There must be two channels, if the width is 40Mhz.

Note:I have all 4 channels in 5G operating simultaneously....

i cannot find the official full Hub 3 specs....Anyone?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You should never use 40 Mhz width on 2.4 GHz as this will normally cause a lot of interference for other uses and not necessarily increase your throughput. It is useless quoting theoretical speeds as nobody ever gets anything like the specified figures. I can get full speed on my 500/35 plan with the latest iPad Pro and very good quality Wireless Access Point, but then I’m only 2m away from the device. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK - see if someone else can help set you up. Meanwhile I assume you have seen this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td...

--------------------
0 Kudos
Miss_NTL
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

You should never use 40 Mhz width on 2.4 GHz as this will normally cause a lot of interference for other uses and

True but in my case I live in a country house, no neighbouring wfis, except several of mine. I can manage my own interference, I fully understand it, I am using spectrum analysers

not necessarily increase your throughput.

True, but in my case, the other APs with 2 channels on 2.4G get ~300Mbps

It is useless quoting theoretical speeds as nobody ever gets anything like the specified figures.

True. But when the hub3 reports theoretical max speed 144.4 Mbps, you definitely can not get more than that. That's why I am looking for the missing  second channel on 2.4G. 

I can get full speed on my 500/35 plan with the latest iPad Pro and very good quality Wireless Access Point, but then I’m only 2m away from the device. 

Also true mate! But could I have my second 2.4G channel back? 🙂

0 Kudos
Miss_NTL
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Indeed. Thanks, splendid advice. I do exactly that for the rest of my APs, in order to manage interference.
0 Kudos