Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 21 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3.0 wifi range is terrible

Really sorry to hear about all of this Stevoc, 

I'd like to look into this for you. 

I've sent you a private message so that we can chat some more. 

Speak soon, 

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 22 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@keyclub73 wrote:

Why wont VM just admit that the quality iof these Superhub 3.0 is poor?

I recently upgraded to this hub from my original 200mB speed hub and it is totally shocking. Unless you are in the same room you may as well not be connected to the internet.

The tech guy rang and changed some settings like wireless channels, but its just as bad (if not worse).

All providers provide basic (low £) equipment that is just fit for purpose (it connects when in the same room - doesn't it !).  Its employees are quite rightly never going to say that the equipment is "poor".  The solutions are simple. <snip>

Agree.  I've had all the Shub's from VM and never used them as Routers, apart from testing.  I've always used them in Modem mode with ASUS Routers.  I've never had issues with WiFi with this setup.  This really stems from the days when VM only supplied modems and a separate D-Link router, and before that only a modem.  Most "long time" users with VM are aware of this and would never run any of the Hubs as Routers.  VM is generally great for speeds, but I reckon their hubs are built at a "best for business" cost ........  

0 Kudos
mattprolf
Joining in
Message 23 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Could you advise me on a reasonably priced router and how to use my Shub 3 as modem only? Thanks 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@mattprolf wrote:

Could you advise me on a reasonably priced router and how to use my Shub 3 as modem only? Thanks 

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

people seem to like this one tho' its not a personal recommendation I use an Apple one - currently £68 - others will have other ideas.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Gigabit-UK-C7/dp/B00CEB53MS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534025...

----------------------------------------

Nice recent review of this router on Amazon

Style: AC1750 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band|Verified Purchase

After having issues with buffering whilst streaming programmes via an Amazon Fire box, I started to look into how to resolve the issue.
We are on Virgin Media 200mb broadband so we have enough speed, I tried upgrading the ethernet cables to Cat 7 and that helped,
However I read that it is actually the routers that are supplied for free, they really just can't keep up with having too many devices and so I looked into a better router.
The TP-Link AC1750 seemed to be the best choice, not cheap but not too expensive and so I purchased it!
I put the Virgin Media Hub into router mode and connected an ethernet lead through to the TP-Link AC1750, that way the VM router isn't doing any work except for passing through to the TP Link router!
Since doing this we have not had any buffering and in fact have managed to stream 4k from the Amazon Fire box.
Not only that but the options available on this router compared to the standard one supplied with broadband packages is amazing, QOS or Quality of Service means you can prioritise certain devices and the Parental controls are very good as well.
I highly recommend purchasing another router and seeing what your broadband is actually capable of!

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos