cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 3.0 - unable to disable SSID broadcast

hammic
Up to speed

Today, when connecting a new device, I needed to broadcast my Wi-Fi's SSID for the new (garbage) device that I was trying to connect.  So I logged in to 192.168.0.1 and navigated to Advanced settings > Wireless > Security, only to find that WiFi Network Name (SSID) broadcast was greyed out for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I have never seen this option greyed out before, as I was able to to disable SSID broadcasting during my setting up of the SuperHub 3.0.  During my setup, I always changed the SSID to my own, change the password to something longer and more complex and hide the SSID.  Overkill perhaps, but that's how I've had my Wi-Fi setup for about 10 years now and it's always worked for the majority of the time.

I've pinhole reset the SuperHub, contacted support (who were able to turn SSID on and off as per my requests) and tried Edge browser (I use Firefox as my main browser).

I'm at a loss now and I think that some firmware update or software change on the SH3 has caused this issue.

If anybody has any pointers, suggestions or even a solution, I'm all ears!

Spoiler
sh
40 REPLIES 40

Hi hammic,

Thanks for your post and for letting us know.

This is a known bug - we'll be looking to fix this in the next firmware update. I'm afraid that I don't have any rough timescales of when this will be, but if I do hear back I will let you know. 

We're sorry for any inconvenience this causes in the meantime.

Beth

I can't understand at all why 'WIFI Network Name' (SSID) Boradcast can't be DISABLED when there's a 'NO' ( don't broadcast ) area greyed out that can't be used. It's a rather silly scenario in this 'day&age' & a very frustrating one at that. Put simply, I don't want to display the fact to all the peeps around me that I have a 'Virgin Media' Hub with WiFi 'enabled' & here's what my Hub's name is. There's no reason for me to do that, none whatsoever.

Hub 3.0 device information

Hardware version: 11

Software version: 9.1.2109.200

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

From people like you use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Leaw
Tuning in

It is greyed out for mine too

Hi, Can I please have an update on this?

The SSIDs have started broadcasting without any intimation. They have always been hidden on my router, but I realised today it had become visible without any notice.

People keep trying to join/break into wifi in the area, and while this is not a foolproof method to stop atleast it makes it less of a target.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM

WILL

NOT

CARE!

ABOUT

THIS

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

VM

WILL

NOT

CARE!

ABOUT

THIS

😔😔

Hey @abc-xyz,

Sorry to see you are still having this problem, would you be able to confirm via screenshot what the settings page is currently showing for you, is it still the same as above? 

Joe

Screenshot_20230911-184341_Chrome.jpg

 Disabled, cannot be changed.

Hi Abc-xyz, 

Sorry you're still dealing with this issue, we unable to change this on our side remotely unfortunately.

However, this link may be able to help here 👉 Enhance Your WIFI Security - Which has loads of relevant information about configuration.

Please take a look and let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Megan_L