Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3.0 modem mode fail

@MarkAC1 wrote:

Hub 3.0, netgear 8-port gigabit ethernet switch with 4-port PoE GS308P, TP-link modem router td-w9970 and a little edimax EW-7228Apn in the garage. 

Apologies but router configuration isn't my first language.

Get a new router with 1Gb ports that has a WAN Ethernet port then use modem mode to that router.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

As legacy1 said best to get new router since that tplink is designed for broadband via telephone line, you could use it but the hub would need to remain in router mode with everything working in access point mode, or end up with double NAT, 2 dhcp servers etc

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@MarkAC1 wrote:

Well....two routers was for the range. I have a ethernet cable running to my garage so I can have wifi there. It won't reach from the living room. 

Yes I tried 192.168.100.1 as well, still won't access the sh3 so the only way is a factory reset. But this starts the whole process again. It just seems to lose all output when placed in modem mode.

I have tested just connecting the router directly to the modem mode sh3 and still nothing so I know it's not the fault of the switch.

Rubbish, just because a "router" does not connect when connected to the Hub does not mean you can cannot connect a switch to the Hub in modem mode, any switch will not work for the reason I mentioned in by previous post.

The Edimax is NOT a router but a Wireless Access Point\Switch combo, this will not work plugged into the Hub in modem mode for the same reason a switch will not work.

The TPLink is an ADSL modem\router and needs to be configured to work as a Wireless router before it would work with the Hub in modem mode.

If you just want to extend the range of your wireless I am not sure why you want to put the Hub in modem mode, Wireless APs are designed to extend the wireless range.The Edimax is a wireless access point. albeit a bit old but should work with the Hub in Router mode with the minimum of configuration.

0 Kudos
MarkAC1
Joining in
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The modem /switch option was from following the advice from other forums saying to do it this way. Wasn't a single one with advice to do it any other way if you need to extend the range as I intend. You can't just start off say "rubbish", I'm asking for help with the matter.

Going to try a few other things with the set up tonight. The fact off the matter remains that is was much easier to do on the old virgin hub. When I've tried to replicate the same workings on the SH3 it doesn't work the same. 

0 Kudos
MarkAC1
Joining in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So, setup the little edimax to be an extender. Finally some wifi in that area. Although, it was only 4mb, figured it was better than nothing. 

Hard wired devices in the back of the SH3 working. Great.

Then, a little time later, constant blimps in the signal using wifi when close to the SH3 and all wired devices don't connect to the internet when the extender is wired into the SH3.....arghhhhhh.

Contract is up in a month so as much as i loved the high speeds I think I'm going to scrap it all off. If the BT advert lives up to the hype I'll be able to get wifi in the next street.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

With the hub back in modem mode what speeds do you get using speedtest.net? This woud give a clue about the state of your network connection.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you do go to BT you can use the Ethernet cable in the garage to connect a Whole Home disk.  Normally the disks use WiFi to connect together, but you can also use cable as the backhaul. One of my work mates has cabled all his disks as the WiFi backhaul is not as reliable as he thought it might be in his older 3 storey property. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Dialled in
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As previous advised once the Hub 3.0 is in modem only mode it will only accept one router, it will work with a switch attached but only the device that is powered up first will get a IP address and be registered.

This is fact and basic networking protocols.

Regards Mike MCP CNA.

0 Kudos
MarkAC1
Joining in
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

That's how I understood it...but it didn't. There's an error with my hub that doesn't allow it to work correctly when in modem mode. As much as I don't want to, I'm going to flick a few more devices over to wifi and sack of trying to work out why it doesn't work as it should.

0 Kudos