Menu
Highlighted
Bern1st
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super hub3

I am still running the original super hub, which I have had several years. I am trying to get Virgin to upgrade to Super hub3. Am I committed to another contract if I get a new hub?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super hub3

@Bern1st wrote:

I am still running the original super hub, which I have had several years. I am trying to get Virgin to upgrade to Super hub3. Am I committed to another contract if I get a new hub?

Why do you want the upgrade - is the old SH1 faulty?  It is somewhat limited in its wifi performance and only broadcasts one network (2.4 or 5 GHz) simultaneously - so this can be quite limiting in todays world of "mixed" network device capabilities.  It can be tricky getting a free replacement from VM's CS helpline - because when they test it they will say its fine (which it probably is ?).  So you could just say that the wifi no longer works (they can't test that) and after they read the scripts and put you through all of the restarts etc - just say "nope still cant connect my 2 phones to the network".  They will either offer to send you a Hub3 out in the post or a technician to repair it.  They will probably also want you to upgrade you package and sign a new contract - but just stick to your guns and say "nope - I am happy on this package and I just want my current Hub to give me back a wifi connection" - and they should give in.  If they do organise you a technicians visit, s/he will spend absolutely no time in trying to fix it they will just swap it for a Hub3 straight away.  If you are out of contract and don't mind signing up for another year, if you call "Retentions" "thinking of leaving" they will almost certainly offer you a better package with newer equipment and it will probably be less that you are paying now - but that's up to you of course.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Bern1st
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info but since my posting I have had an engineers visit, and you were quite correct he replaced the hub with the new superhub3. Everything working fine most of the time but still occasions where it intermittently drops away. I will see how it performs for now, otherwise I can see another engineers visit a possibility.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When you say "drops away" - is that disconnects or just speed drops - and does it happen on ethernet cable connected devices and/or ones on wifi. If its just wifi then there are some tweaks you can do to improve it - simple starter is to move it around and away from any other electrical equipment - a foot or two can make a big difference. If that doesnt sort it, post back.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Bern1st
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet seems to stay connected but wifi seems to lose signal now and again. On ethernet cable when streaming something like video it will break stream and maybe pick up again after a few seconds.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok try this to see if improve your wifi.    Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it)  disable "channel optimisation" - save changes.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for  iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.  Also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one (1,6,11) that is less so.    See if that helps - you will lose the “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always "factory reset" it back if you prefer.

--------------------