Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super hub 4 and deco m5 - help needed

iwanttoconnect
Joining in

Dear all

My set up:

1gb connection Superhub 4 connected to a network switch. with 3x Deco M5 connected to network points around the house set up as access points.

My computer which is connected to a network point, nicely gets speeds of 900mb

My deco m5, only gets 60mb wifi. 

what should i do to improve this? should i change the deco m5 to run as a 'mesh' ?

also to add - I've noticed the hub is in router mode - if i switch this to 'modem mode' which ethernet port in the hub4 will work? when i have tried to switch the hub4 to modem mode in the past it has never worked. 

any help would be much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
M5 is wifi5. That will always Max out at ~600Mbps over wifi (physics) to get close to 1GB on a single device you will need a wifi6 router. See the Deco "X" range

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
You need to use modem mode with the Deco set to router mode.

Connect the first deco node to the hub then run through desktop switch off that deco. Only the deco should be connected to one of the hubs Ethernet Ports.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want really good speeds via mesh your going to have to spend a lot more money than a budget model like a M5. What wireless speeds do you get via WiFi to the hub4?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
M5 is wifi5. That will always Max out at ~600Mbps over wifi (physics) to get close to 1GB on a single device you will need a wifi6 router. See the Deco "X" range

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jbrennand it's only 2x2 Mimo compared to the hub4s 3x3 so it's actually slower than a hub 4.

I reckon you'd be lucky to get 400 from a M5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good point jb66- I had forgotten that limitation as well

--------------------
John
--------------------

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@jb66 wrote:

@jbrennand it's only 2x2 Mimo compared to the hub4s 3x3 so it's actually slower than a hub 4.

I reckon you'd be lucky to get 400 from a M5

You’d be a darn sight luckier to get 400 from a VM hub!!

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks- do all of the hubs 4 ethernet sockets work after moving to modem mode, or is it just 1 socket?

The hub 4 gives me wireless speeds of 400mb downstairs, and 7mb (yes, 7!) upstairs. 
happy to spend more money on a better mesh set up, I’m only using kit inherited from my earlier 200mb days.

Which mesh kit is generally recommended to work with the hub 4, the deck x20? 

@jbrennand wrote:

To deviate a little, My other issue with wifi 6  is that it is not be compatible with other devices ( eg sonos, ring pro doorbell, Lenovo google assitant). Is there a particular mesh setup that is the sweet spot between supporting older devices yet give me very fast speeds ?