cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super hub 3

Chr152k23
Tuning in

So today I phoned virgin media with a ports problem on the back of my super hub 3 I used my laptop to try and prove it was a connection problem that it wasnt connecting to Internet via wire only wireless the guy tried to tell me it was a problem with my laptop so we then used v6 tv box to get a wired conection to connect it to the Internet and still nothing I think it's really bad that he didn't trust me antill it happened on the v6 box because it belong to virgin media that's bad virgin then he decided to take it further once it happened on v6 box he really wernt bothed that it was happening on my laptop

16 REPLIES 16

I am disappointed in virgin media it seems to me the only way of getting round this problem is by paying over the odds to get a super hub 4 which by the way is a very nice hub and WiFi range is gd but a shame I can only get it by buying 1tb boardband so I am happy now with hub 4 but hate I've hate to go from a bill of 75 to a bill of 102 pound a month to solve a problem of virgin media's 

This isn't making much sense.

Many people find that moving to the hub 4 is actually worse in terms of WiFi - much of it likely to be due to device incompatibility (different, newer chipset). 

The only reason I'd suggest getting a hub 4 would be to support the 1gig service cable broadband as it can use the appropriate DOCSIS version for that.

You were originally saying that wireless connections were okay, but wired (Ethernet) were not.  Given that you have had the hub replaced, and from what I can gather, it would appear there's actually an issue with the broadband connection to the hub?  Changing hubs (to a hub 4 or whatever) isn't going to do anything whatsoever to help with that.

So;

• monitor the connection and see if it settles
  • determine for sure if it's wired, wireless or both that have problems
  • set up a BQM
  • post the stats off the hub
  • and yes, getting your own good router may well be a great thing to do - regardless of what you think VM should supply - it will likely be of a higher spec providing better performance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Well pal so far so gd for me everything seems OK now now loss of constant conetion via lan cables and WiFi on hub 4 seems gd in distance compared to hub 3 so apart from paying over the odds I like super hub 4 it's nice it seems to do what it says on the tin 😀👍

Well pal so far so gd for me everything seems OK know no loss of constant conetion via lan cables and WiFi on hub 4 seems gd in distance compared to hub 3 so apart from paying over the odds I like super hub 4 it's nice it seems to do what it says on the tin 😀👍

@Chr152k23 wrote:

Well pal so far so gd for me everything seems OK know no loss of constant conetion via lan cables and WiFi on hub 4 seems gd in distance compared to hub 3 so apart from paying over the odds I like super hub 4 it's nice it seems to do what it says on the tin 😀👍

So you went ahead and paid for an upgrade to the 1GB service in order to get the Hub 4?

On Wednesday you were saying there were still issues with a new hub.

And you're paying an extra (nearly) thirty quid a month whereas I improved on the Hub 3 by initially using a (free) BT Smart Hub as an additional AP and later adding a forty quid slightly used D Link 'gaming' router - about 300 quid a year cheaper!

If you need 1GB fair enough - and if you've got it sorted, that's great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

The new hub was a second hub 3 again at no extra cost that's what I was saying but I still didn't solve the problem that virgin media have so then i phoned them and said OK I'll pay over the odds to get super hub 4 to see if it sorts this problem out of virgin media's and I was right it did sort the problem out that virgin media have with super hub 3 but there not telling people this because its great as a WiFi router but pants as a lan cable router there getting away with it because 70percent of people use

wifi I'm just glad it's sorted but hate that I've payed over the odds to get it sorted

Thanks for the clarification.

It would be good to see how the Hub 3 (and other VM Hubs) perform when checked on, say, a Spirent Tester  which I'm familiar with.

What a couple of us have said in this thread is you would likely be better off with a good third party router and using the hub in modem mode - so it only has to perform as a modem (and landline interface) - spend say £100 on a router to work with the hub and it's yours to keep - rather than paying an extra thirty quid a month.

If however you're happy with the Hub 4 and are using the additional bandwidth that's fine too....  Up to you.