Menu
porter214
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Super hub 3 Wifi

So i’ve been having this problem ever since i moved from a super hub 2, every 10 minutes or so, the wifi on ipads, iphones and generally anything connected around the house will stop working for about 2 minutes, but it will not show it has disconnected. This problem has been happening a solid 2 years now and ive finally decided to get it sorted. I am a telecom engineer my self and have tried all basic diagnostics such as changing channels and things like that in the router programme but nothing has ever made it better, if i cannot get it sorted i am thinking of putting it into modem mode with a tp link router.

I have 5 things wired into the router which all wrk fine and never ever cut out or experience issues

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hub 3 Wifi

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort quite a few Hub3 wifi issues.   Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it)  disable "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper devices can only use this one.  See if that helps.  If not your own router or wifi access point would almost certainly sort it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi porter214, 

Thanks for joining us on the Community 😄

Sorry for the wireless problems you're experiencing at the moment. Please let us know how you get on following the advice above. 

Catch you again soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
porter214
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i did the smart wireless thing and it seemed to work for 1 day and now its back to normal and issue still persists, very frustrating i may say, is it common with this model of router?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@porter214 wrote:

i did the smart wireless thing and it seemed to work for 1 day and now its back to normal and issue still persists, very frustrating i may say, is it common with this model of router?

Its really is not that common - but on here it is!  Try it in modem mode with your own wifi router or access point.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wireless dropouts due to wireless interference is a common global issue and it s not just confined to VM. Just Google "wireless dropping out" and peruse the 32 million hits.

First of all, the VM Hubs are basic entry level devices that serve most people well. but can struggle in wireless challenging environments not to mention the servery crippled firmware that hampers advanced users.

A decent third party router will give a better overall wireless coverage, but whether it will completely resolve your problems depends on many factors like your wireless environment. All routers are governed by legal transmission restrictions and still have to obey the same laws of physics as the Hub. Remember, the router is only half of the equation, the capabilities of your wireless also comes into play, as the Router still needs to hear the clients. Wireless is a two way street.

"Smart WiFi" and optimisation, are propriety implementations and are only as good as thier algorithm. There are scenarios where optimisation may not work properly (Hidden and Exposed nodes) 

Router and client positioning also plays a major role with wireless reception.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Rather than rely on "Smart WiFi", you could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Hearing aids, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

I would check that all your wireless devices are up to date, client firmware can have corruptions causing wireless dropouts, a recent Apple iOS update springs to mind. (Which has now been rectified with a further update)

Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi porter214,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and your downstream modem SNR is too low.. I would like to get an engineer out to take a look at this for you.

I will pop you a Pm to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner.

Speak to you soon.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos