cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super hub 3 - Modem only mode with Netgear xr500

Connorcoolbeans
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have been using my super hub 3 in modem only mode for the past few months with no problem using the Netgear xr500 router. Over the past couple of days my Internet has not worked at all. I have already contacted virgin support and done the usual restart/reboot on both my super hub and router. 

On the front of my netgear router everything is working fine other than the “internet” light which is flashing amber. I have been following my routers troubleshoot manual and it sais the following; 

If your router is still unable to obtain an IP address from the ISP, the problem might be one of the following:
• Your Internet service provider (ISP) might require a login program. Ask your ISP whether they require PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) or some other type of login.
• If your ISP requires a login, the login name and password might be set incorrectly.
• Your ISP might check for your computer’s host name. Assign the computer host name of your ISP account as the account name on the Internet Setup page.
• If your ISP allows only one Ethernet MAC address to connect to Internet and checks for your computer’s MAC address, do one of the following:
- Inform your ISP that you bought a new network device and ask them to use the router’s MAC address.
- Configure your router to clone your computer’s MAC address.

Has anybody got any suggestions before I contact Virgin support team again? or explain what any of the above means? 

thanks in advance 😊

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

connect a PC to the hub in modem mode power hub off for 2min then on and wait for internet then connect your PC to your router login and use MAC clone option.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All of the list of bullet points are not really valid for VM. There is a slim possibly that the VM CMTS has lost the connection to your routers MAC address. I suggest you set it up as new per the following instructions (you probably don’t need all the steps):

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Connorcoolbeans thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear the hub is not connecting to your router.  Can I ask if you've managed to follow the advice given by your fellow members?  If so, have you had any success?

Regards

Lee

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Also, @Connorcoolbeans from your post, I am assuming a signal is still reaching you hub?  It would certainly appear that way, but I do have to check.

Regards

Lee_R

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

surely the first thing is to try the hub in modem mode with just a pc connected - if that does not work then its a connection issue or the hub is faulty

if it works then move forward - connect your own router as outlined above - try different lan cables - if that does not work then your router is faulty or you have more than one bad lan cable

if your router proves to be the problem then put the hub into router mode and you have a connection - wifi may be bad but you are running

if you find the hub to be faulty or the input down then report it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Connorcoolbeans
Tuning in

Hi all thank you for all the suggestions. After doing another factory reset on the virgin hub it seemed to fix my problem. I believe the first time I did this my router was still connected to the virgin hub so maybe this had something to do with it not working the first time after the reset? 

anyway is working all good now and thanks again for all your help 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Glad to hear that you have managed to get this resolved @Connorcoolbeans

Kind regards,

Zak_M