cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super hub 3 2.4GHz faulty

Hyro
Joining in

This has been an issue for a while now. 5GHz works fine, devices that support it connect and work no issues. But the 2.4GHz AP has a recurring fault where it's still broadcasting but is unconnectable. It used to be fine, and nothing at home has changed, but over the last few months this has been happening and getting worse.

Devices, be it phones, computers, smart devices, will sometimes connect ok, but a lot of the time just not connect. On the phones it tries for ages before disabling it and connecting to the 5GHz one, but not all our phones support 5GHz. Same with the PC, when it's acting up they will spend ages trying to connect before eventually just giving up.

I've used an AP scanner on my phone and changed the channel to a less congested one, no difference. I've reset the router when the fault has been happening but it usually boots up exactly the same, so probably a hardware fault not software. And I've factory reset the router to start fresh, and it still has the exact same issue with 2.4GHz.

So from everything I've tried and observed I'd say the 2.4GHz module in the router has a hard fault. I suppose the only real remedy is a replacement. I figured I'd ask here cause in the past, years ago, when we had a faulty router, customer support just kept looping us around telling us to reset, check wires, and basically everything else we already tried. Hoping someone here knows a shortcut to us getting a replacement without tons of long phone calls that get me nowhere.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Hyro, and I'm sorry that the issue with 2.4GHz is ongoing.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and we'll be able to take a closer look into this for you.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Likely not a hardware problem just VM twist on wifi to make it better now worse firmware.

you can ask for a 2nd hard hub 3 or use your hub in modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Hyro,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Really sorry to hear about the problems faced with the 2.4GHz, to clarify is the signal not broadcasting on any device at all?

Let us know,

Kain

Sorry for the late reply. It will be broadcasting but nothing can connect to it. Phone and PC try to connect then give up. After a restart it may or may not be connectable. But then after a while goes back to not working. All the while 5GHz is ok. But the range is worse for 5GHz and as I said a bunch of our devices only support 2.4GHz.

Hi Hyro,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to see you are facing issues with devices connecting to the 2.4ghz on your Router, I was abler to locate you on our system with the details we have for you, after running further checks it looks like your 5ghz SSID mode isn't set to recommended settings, please can you check it is 20/40/80MHz using the attached guide,

1.  start a Browser such as Internet Explorer of Google Chrome. In the address bar, enter 192.168.0.1 and press next.
  2. The log in screen will be displayed. The password will be displayed on a sticker on the Hub unless the customer has changed this. If this has been changed and the customer cannot remember the new password, you may need to carry out a pin hole reset to return the Hub back to its initial settings.
  3. Click on Advanced settings on the left hand side menu and select Wireless from the drop down list and then Wireless signal.
  4. You can use this section to make adjustments to the wireless settings. If Smart WiFi Channel optimisation is enabled the Wireless mode, channel and channel width options will be greyed out
  5. You will need to click the Disable channel optimisation box (they do not need to click apply changes at this point)
  6. The Wireless mode, channel and channel width options will now show in white, so the customer is able to make changes to the settings
  7. Now that the Channel optimisation has been disabled the customer can select the optimum settings manually. The channel option does not need to be amended as we are going to re-enable optimisation afterwards.
  8. For the 5GHz network the channel width needs to be set to 20/40/80 MHZ.
  9. Click on the box next to channel width and select the 20/40/80MHz option from the dropdown menu.
  10. Once the above changes have been made, click “Apply Changes”.
  11. You may lose connection temporarily after clicking apply changes, this is normal, their devices will reconnect after a few seconds.
  12. The settings have now been changed but we will still need to re-enable optimisation to ensure the hub chooses the least congested channel.
  13. Click the Enable optimisation box and click “Apply Changes” once again.

Regards

Paul.

The 5GHz isn't the problem. That connects to my phone and laptop and stuff and works fine. It's the 2.4GHz like it said. It's clearly faulty in this super hub 3. I've turned 2.4GHz off and am using a cheap Tenda access point to give the 2.4GHz to all our smart bulbs and cameras and stuff, though the range isn't very good on it, but at least things connect. The super hub had decent 2.4GHz range back when it worked. Can someone arrange for a replacement hub to be sent out to me?

Hi Hyro, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that there is an issue and did you try what Paul explained? 

Can you confirm if this has now been resolved or if you are still having an issue with this. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

I've set 5GHz back to auto, but it had no problems in the first place. 2.4GHz is still completely broken, having intermittent working then going back to unconnectable.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Ahh okay, thanks for keeping us updated on this,

Just to tick this off as well, are no devices able to connect to the 2.4GHz channel?

Also as a test if channel optimisation is enabled, are all devices still connecting to the 5GHz.

Thanks again,

Kain

Sometimes after restarting the router they will for a bit, but then reverts to not working. Phones repeatedly try before disabling that AP. PC just tries for ages then gives up, but randomly hours later it will work for a while, before going back to being broken. All the while 5GHz works fine. Phones and other devices that support 5GHz will connect regardless of whether optimisation is on.

Given a factory reset and using a wifi scanner to find the least congested channel to change them to, or using auto, all makes no difference. It seems obvious that the 2.4GHz part is just screwed.