cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super hub 2 ‘weak security’

Square23041
Tuning in
  • I have been getting the Weak Security message on my iPhone X when trying to connect to my super hub 2. When I click the info button it states WPA /WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure. It then asks me to change my router to WPA2 (AES) or WPA3. All other devices in my household are fine. I’m on a beta version of iOS 14.0 on my iPhone. I’ve trawled through various posts and am confused - do I need a super hub 3 or to change the settings on my router?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Apple being over cautious.

WPA2 is used by millions of routers/customers.

The HUB 3 uses WPA2.

Square23041
Tuning in

Should add that WiFi drops in and out and is very unreliable and I get the Oops Something went wrong message when trying to request a SH3 online through my account 

Anonymous
Not applicable
change the settings on the router. Maybe contact apple and see what they consider secure.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A VM person ought to get to this thread in a few days and organise an upgrade for you - you could also try calling in although many agents dont seem to know about the scheme so there is a ~50:50 chance they may try to charge you and initiate a new contract - so dont accept that.

Or you could do as I, and many others do, and use the SH2 in modem mode and get your own better quality router and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Square23041,

Thanks for posting 🙂

Can see our community have answers your questions regarding the hubs security,

In regards to your connection, I've located your account using your forum details and have arranged to send you a new hub 3. 

It'll be with you within 7 days,

Alex_Rm

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dont forget to follow the "activation" instructions when it arrives 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Lovely, thanks for all your answers and help

Eeeps
Well-informed

The iPhone is suggesting that the encryption you are using may not be secure.

TKIP is an older encryption standard. You should set your SH2 to use AES encryption instead.

I use an old SH2 as an access point and it works well with AES.

I have a super hub 2 and am getting a weak security notification on 2G(though not on 5G). Everyone in our household uses Apple products most of which are on iOS 14.6

Should we be concerned?

Thanks for any input👍