Menu
andytremain83
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super hub 2 dropping 2g connections

Wondering if someone can help or even virgin before I try and spend ages on the phone. I have a superhub2 and every day now the 2g wifi side keeps disconnecting. I end up having to either switch off or log into the unit to restart the hub, at which point it works again. It was doing it small amounts but over the weeks, but now seems to have got worse. I have some smart plugs on 2g and its not ideal. Also noticed that with one brand of plug I havet, it will never connect to the hub. If you fully re start the hub it will then connect for all of maybe 5 minutes to complete set up but then just stop and can not see the 2g again. Other problem is some things like laptops are losing connection, in that you have to re enter the 2g password as they say that some credentials have changed. This happens in two in particular ans as some as you enter the password they are fine again. All this make me think the hub is going bad. I have heard the 2g part can go bad with age and this is a common fault? Wondering if this is then case. Hopefully someone from virgin can help. Regards Andy.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super hub 2 dropping 2g connections

Are you seeing any messages about "security" and WEP passwords? Some SH2's can develop a known problem where it can start dropping its security from WPA to WEP?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
andytremain83
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, On the laptops all I see is that is that is pops up saying the login credentials have changed. If you first try to put the password in it does not like it. You then have to forgot the saved network, rescan and connect again. You then put the password in and it works. Though I have not checked to see what security mode it has shifted to. On Mobiles it just pops up with an exclamation mark next to the wifi logo, there is no internet but you sometimes can log into the router. Though if you shift it to the 5g the phones everything is OK so I know there is not internet problem. Rebooting the router makes the 2g work again. Other times you can not even connect, you have to go an physically switch the unit off at the wall. It might be worth trying to see what either a phone of laptop thinks the security is when it happens again. Probably will happen tonight or tomorrow, seems to be doing it every few days.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Two options. Call it in as a fault and VM will replace it for free with a Hub3. Or (like I do) stick it in modem mode and connect up your own wireless router or access point with more features that you might like.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
andytremain83
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well Hopefully someone from Virgin make look at this thread and get in touch with me. I did consider the option of doing the seperate router route, but if Virgin supply and look after their kit, then I would like to give them the chance to sort this out. I Have no ends of problems usually when I try to ring them.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello andytremain83

Thanks for your post 

Sorry though to hear about the problems you are having with your hub2ac

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen 

A message will be there asking for details so I can access your account