cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub used as an access point

Muss60
On our wavelength

I have a second Superhub and wondered if it was connected to my existing superhub via cat5e can it be set as a access point elsewhere in the house.

If I can use the second Superhub as an access point, how do you set it up and can I connect my Tivo via cat5e patch lead? ( Hoping this will give me access to Tivo via phone and tablets via internet)

42 REPLIES 42

Thanks for the help thus far. I cannot find where to set the ending IP address, can anyone help, please?

This needs to be the accepted answer as I've replicated the settings successfully and have Internet both on the other 3 ports of the switch and on the Wireless networks. Using SH3 as modem and SH2ac as access point/network switch.

Have a look at this: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Using-a-Router-to-extend-wifi-network/m-p/3240336#...

it simplifies things further, but uses one SSID.

You also may find this helpful too: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Use-my-old-router-to-extend-WiFi/m-p/3604608...

The first link takes you to the older information whereas the second link is aimed at third party ADSL routers; it's still pertinent though and it also explains what you should end up with.  The make of router or the fact that if it's ADSL doesn't make any difference.   If you have more than one spare router you could set them all up together and extend your Wi-Fi coverage even further.  Just make sure it's broadcasting on a separate channel.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Hi, followed the tutorial to setup my SH2 as the AP setting the lan ip to 192.168.0.254 and saved etc.
Now on my SH3 i don't see any end ip etc i see a start ip of say 192.168.0.10 and Number of CPEs 244 so would i be correct changing the 244 to 243 will be the same as you described as end end ip of 192.168.0.253 ??
Because start ip of 10 + 244 CPEs on the SH3 = 254 if i'm correct?
So if i'm correct then starting ip of 10 + 243 = 253 CPEs would be no more ip's after 192.168.0.253 on the SH3.
I have followed everything through but getting no internet from the AP to any device  😞 
Can someone please advise if i have done something incorrect.
Thanks 

Rob 

daccg
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

We've got two SuperHubs 3 at home and I would like to use the second one as an access point at the back of the flat, where I get very little signal. I have been doing this with an old Netgear router and works fine, however, it's not dual band and as such speeds suffer in addition to a much lower wireless rate (140 mbps vs 400 mbps). 

I have tried the instructions in this post, although it is not entirely clear how to set an IP in the SuperHub 3. The second SuperHub 3 works and connects to the internet but connection is dropped every 5-10 minutes for around 2 minutes. I believe this is an issue related to the conflict between the two SuperHubs but I'm unsure on how to solve it. 

Has anyone been able to use a SuperHub 3 as an wireless access point?

I have tried your solution and it works perfectly. If you also set both SSID’s the same, then devices switch automatically to the strongest signal

thanks👍

OK:

So set this up between Hub3 with Superhub2 as AP using previous list of instructions.

works a treat, but I’m concerned with leaving firewall settings off on AP. Should I have turned them on again in the AP after successful setup?

TIA

Broadband / Phone

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
If I've understood you correctly, the firewall in your main hub would be ON; so in the hub being used as an AP you would turn it off to avoid unwanted effects.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

You are using the SH2 to extend your network with a LAN to LAN connection, the hub is still in router mode so the SH2's DHCP server and firewall need to be disabled.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection