Menu
Stormfish
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub replacement?

My super hub 2 wifi has been getting more and more unreliable, needing regular restarts to get it to work (hard wired is stable though).

I've finally found time to try and resolve this (yep, a day off work!) Trying to talk to someone on the phone is impossible and the online chat does not seem to be available whenever I try.

This is not acceptable, especially for how much the service costs.

Can anyone enlighten me how to go about this or do I need to go via a billing/retention route to actually get hold of someone?

Thanks

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub replacement?

You say that the wired connect is stable, are you getting good speeds as well?

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the number of simultaneous connections, the Topography of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer  or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Testing the signal strength a metre from the Hub would show if the Hub's wireless radios are starting to fail, you should get a signal strength of around -23dBm

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

If optimising your wireless signal does not improve the signal, the best way to get your Hub upgraded to a Hub 3 (not without it's own problems) would be to phone Retentions (Thinking of Leaving Us option), bearing in mind this may tie you into a new contract, so worth checking.

However, the Hub 3 like the rest of the Hubs and most ISP's stock kit are cheap basic entry level devices which can struggle in challenging wireless environments and a decent third party router would  give a better overall wireless coverage but may not completely resolve wireless problems depending on many factors like your wireless environment.

0 Kudos
Stormfish
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, this is not a range issue or anything like that it is complete absence of one or both of the 2.4 and 5 wifi signals and only a reset or turning off and on the channels in the router settings fixes it. Usually someone in the house calls out that a channel has vanished or frozen and then everyone else confirms from their own device of choice. Occasionally it will just decide to pick on one person and only they can't get in but that is probably a different issue.

Forgive me but I've worked in IT for many years and know the difference between poorly set up equipment and equipment that is having intermittent issues.

I believe my Hub 2 (not Hub 3 as you refer to) is struggling from a hardware perspective. I've had PC wireless network cards do the same in the past when they got a bit tired. This smells of the same sort of tired hardware issue.

The wifi used to be fine, this is something that has gotten worse over many months.

I'm still none the wiser on how to actually talk to anyone at Virgin either!

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you can't get through on the phone or online chat, just wait for a response here on the forum (it can take several days). If you want a replacement hub, beware: they'll send you a Hub 3 which for many people is a downgrade compared to the Hub 2. A better option may be to use your own router to avoid the Hub 3, and these generally perform far better than ISP supplied devices. 

Stormfish
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That's useful to know thanks. I may have to look into that or perhaps give Plusnet a call now BT fibre is available.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I know you have a SH2 I was refering to the Hub 3 which is what you will get if the SH2 swapped out.

By turning off the wireless channels, I take it you mean the wireless radios. It is common to have to reboot the wireless connection to get a device to reconnect to a wireless network due to the way some clients handle reassociation requests.

I take it you have done a full factory reset of the SH2 to waken the device up a bit, by clearing any firmware gliches and clearing all buffers.

Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it is not there, there could be something blocking your view like interference which could be blocking all or some devices from seeing the Hub, interference is intermittent in nature, and scanning the wireless environment is a first step in diagnosing wireless faults.

Some research would show that there was a problem with some Android and casting devices were flooding wireless networks with ARP packets which would cause the symptoms you are seeing, it has been patched so it is worth checking  that clients firmare is up to date.

As I said earlier best to phone Retentions on 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response. (sorry, I should have included phone numbers in my earlier post)

vircom
Super solver
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Your choice, but with the issues reported with the Hub3, you may be better keeping the Hub2 in modem mode and purchasing your own WiFi router. It works well for me, better WiFi and a more versatile router.
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@vircom wrote:
Your choice, but with the issues reported with the Hub3, you may be better keeping the Hub2 in modem mode and purchasing your own WiFi router. It works well for me, better WiFi and a more versatile router.

Seconded !

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Stormfish
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Any recommendations on a suitable router? The ASUS RT-AC68U seems quite popular. I do have a Netgear N600 lurking about somewhere I could try for starters though it is a few years old now (from back in my old BT connection days).

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have been happy with my ASUS, have not tried any others so cannot comment, but if you use the forum search, it should give links to other posts/ opinions from those with more knowledge.
0 Kudos