cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 4 No Modem Mode Available(1 Gbps Connection)

AJ95
On our wavelength

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well today.

I really hope that you can help me. I had a new installation of Virgin 1 Gbps service today with a Super Hub 4.

However, the admin interface does not offer Modem Mode. Is this expected? I have provided a screenshot below since one strange thing is that the hub is a Super Hub 4 (black with a white ring light) but identifies as a Hub Version 2.0 in its admin interface

VirginSuperHub4.png

I really hope I am doing something simple wrong. If not, I will be cancelling this service before the 14 day cooling off period, I bought a very expensive router to use with this and right now I can't.

Please let me know if I can provide any other details. Thank you in advance for any advice.

14 REPLIES 14

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

Without modem mode I wouldn't be here now. The inbuilt router is far too limited in function.

Ditto !   I hope VM UK don’t go down this route of no modem mode. I’ll be taking my custom elsewhere. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

AJ95
On our wavelength

@jpeg1: I agree the inbuilt router is far too limited.

@Adduxi: I totally agree, we need the continuing option of modem only mode.

@legacy1: You were correct, I called Virgin earlier today and they issued a request on their side to disable IPv6 for my connection. They asked me to turn the Hub 2.0 on and off after about 30 minutes after the call. No firmware was required.

I did this and upon logging into the Hub, Modem mode was now available. I enabled it and now my Asus RT-AX89X is working perfectly with it.

For clarity, the black Virgin "box" is known as the "Hub 2.0" but to you and I as the Super Hub 4 (SH4). This was the source of my initial confusion. Its the only modem offered for the 1 Gbps connection. Virgin also explained that to me today.

Issued resolved 😊

My only remaining concern is that, what happens when IPv6 is required and no longer optional? Those of us using Modem Only mode may be left with no options. I really hope this situation never develops. We who prefer modem mode only may need to unite in the future to express that opinion.

Thanks very much to everyone for their help.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

No reason why we can't have are WAN IPv4 and IPv6 on a single MAC or have the hub be a router for IPv6 and pass IPv4 in modem mode they just want us to bend over and do NAT at the hub which we know can't support everything. Or they can do my real DMZ idea so the hub is a router for IPv4 does NAT but does DMZ your WAN IP to your device.

Many routers that do DDNS send the IP of the WAN interface which if NAT is done will not be the IP you want your DDNS to know.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@AJ95 wrote:

We who prefer modem mode only may need to unite in the future to express that opinion

I don't think that would help at all.

The management of this company do not listen to their customers or even seem to recognise that we exist, beyond the income received from our monthly payments. 

Even the internal communications within the company are appalling. Every day on here we see VM staff asking customers what progress has been made with a problem, instead of being able to advise the customer!  It must be just as frustrating for the staff as for us.

If O2 VM or whatever they call themselves at the time decide to abolish modem mode for any reason they will lose a large number of customers overnight.  

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately most VM customers don't know or don't care about Modem mode and wouldn't know if it was switched off.  Yes, there will be many who will leave, myself included, to other ISP's, but I don't think it will hurt Liberty's bottom line too much.

Personally I love the Openreach approach of just supplying an ONT (basically fibre terminated in an ethernet port) into a property, and the users are free to pick whatever ISP they like, and depending on the ISP, their own Routers/Networking kit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks