Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 4 - 1 Gig - Asus RT-AX86U router

david_mcleay
Tuning in

Hi I have recently switched from

Super Hub 3 modem mode - ASUS router - 200 MB to

Super Hub 4 modem mode - ASUS router - 1 Gig

I am getting 605Mb/s wired to xbox and c.400 to c.100 mb/s wireless.

Are they any setting on Router that I should be optimising to get closer to 1 Gig ? (I've turned off traffic analyser and QoS)

thanks - Dave.

19 REPLIES 19

spgray
Problem sorter
have you confirmed you're getting 1Gbps (or rather 940Mbps) from the hub?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

thanks for taking the time to answer - I haven't would I need to re enable as Router and test a wired connection to do this ? or use the built in sam speed test ?

To get ture speed.

Test via wired with a PC or Laptop. Consoles have very slow network ports.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

you could connect your laptop/pc direct the hub (whilst still in modem mode) - disconnect the asus router first of course - see what speed you get whilst doing that.

you could use https://samknows.com/realspeed/ but the hub would need to be in router mode to use that.

I installed mine today and only get 2.1mps, no where near 1,000mps.

I'm having to type now using my mobile data hotspot because of Virgin's poor wi-fi and will have to cancel as it just doesn't work.

@750Rush wrote:

I installed mine today and only get 2.1mps, no where near 1,000mps.

I'm having to type now using my mobile data hotspot because of Virgin's poor wi-fi and will have to cancel as it just doesn't work.

please start your own thread about any issues you have.

I did.

Just thought my experience would help you if you are having similar problems, obviously not!

thanks everyone for their help - an update

I ran a cable from SH4 (in both modem and in router mode) to laptop (old HP elite book, think its Ethernet port might limit speed?) - got c.400mb/s on a fast.com speed test BUT sam knows test from laptop showed full speed to Hub

image.png

 and I got a similar result on my iphone XR

IMG_5440.PNG

running sams test wireless

so am I good and thats just how it is with 1 Gig to hub will never translate to anything above 450MB wireless ? I can expect closer to 1 Gig with wired connections (using appropraite ethernet cable and modern device)

whilst images are being checked note I was getting 1074 speed to virgin media hub on samknows real speed test

Did you get any further forward with this?  I have same situation.  Best speed i have gotten using the inbuilt speed test from the ASUS RT-AC86U is 553 down and 53 up.

Pretty sure i have got better speeds using ookla on my pc Wired to the network.  Will check that later on and report back.

Might do a bit of test connected directly to Hub 4 in modem mode to see what speeds i get and then take it out of Modem mode and test speed again.  After that i may add it to the asus in DMZ mode to see if that makes a difference. 

Surely we can get better speeds from the Asus RT-AC86U as it should be able to cope with the 1GB speed.