cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 reboots / resets itself frequently

badger999
Tuning in

I am having nonstop issues with the Super hub 3 router that keeps resetting rebooting itself since the past few weeks. All wired and wifi connections drop until the reboot is complete and then everything starts working again. This happens at least 7-8 times a day sometimes more. Various complaints made via telephone to Virgin Media who don't appear to care. All phones for technical faults are handled by call takers in India who read from a script and it appears that they don't have a clue about the issues. I have resorted to taking the matter through ADR scheme through the regulators to seek Virgin media bosses attention on this issue as they appear to not really be bothered. Virgin Media will not send a tech out or replace the router and frankly are an appalling company to deal with. Any one have a fix for this?

299 REPLIES 299

In fairness, the thread was marked as 'Answered' very early on (see page one) but not with what I would call a solution!

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Good point, well made Felim 🙂

If I don't hear anything today I shall start a new thread so it's not a seemingly answered topic. 

Thanks, Matrick

Hi Matrick,

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry to hear it's not fixed. Upon doing a system check we do need a technician, primarily to check the cab I think. I shall send you a PM now.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you for following up John

Regards

Matrick

Hi @Matrick

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. This will be viewable in your online account - virg.in/myVM - within 1 hour - you can also track, change and cancel this via the online account if needed.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John, I most appreciate you escalating this and a quick visit being booked.

Best regards

Matrick 

Update:

• Two engineers visited today together, one being a senior 
  • I talked through the issues first and they appreciated my systematic process of elimination, agreeing that hardware changes were necessary or the fault finding process grinds to a halt
  • It was commented that it is not uncommon for remote firmware / software updates to cause issues, so the software update I saw in log may well have been the trigger as we thought
  • However it was also commented that the SuperHub 3 is an old model and that it operates at its theoretical limits on my M500 service. Apparently sales teams often upgrade user speed and assume that the older hardware will suffice which the techs have to then fix
  • My replacement new SuperHub 3 was therefore replaced with a new SuperHub 4, and the wiring and internal house connector were replaced to play safe
  • I have left the SuperHub 4 in Router mode and I am clocking a steady >500mb download speed and >30mb upload on my MacBook at the other end of the house on the floor above. This so far compares with the wifi capabilities of my ASUS gaming router in Modem mode, which I potentially won't need to use now.
  • I shall monitor this for a few days / weeks and report back

Fingers crossed that this is the fix and a random firmware upgrade doesn't screw things up again.

Happy for now, thanks John for escalating this, most appreciated 🙂

The SuperHub 4 has done it’s first dropout and self reboot, will carry on monitoring 😞

Hi Matrick, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community and updating the thread with how the visit went. 

From what you've said it certainly sounds like positive news. 

Please keep monitoring and if you have any further issues, pop back and let us know so we can look in to things further for you. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Matrick,

Any more dropouts / reboots since Tuesday?

Did it / they happen at a similar time as with the SuperHub 3?

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK