cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 reboots / resets itself frequently

badger999
Tuning in

I am having nonstop issues with the Super hub 3 router that keeps resetting rebooting itself since the past few weeks. All wired and wifi connections drop until the reboot is complete and then everything starts working again. This happens at least 7-8 times a day sometimes more. Various complaints made via telephone to Virgin Media who don't appear to care. All phones for technical faults are handled by call takers in India who read from a script and it appears that they don't have a clue about the issues. I have resorted to taking the matter through ADR scheme through the regulators to seek Virgin media bosses attention on this issue as they appear to not really be bothered. Virgin Media will not send a tech out or replace the router and frankly are an appalling company to deal with. Any one have a fix for this?

299 REPLIES 299

@NewUserCrook, welcome aboard!

So, how many devices do you have connected to your SH3? What's your setup there?

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Hi, and thanks!

We have a hub 3 and two TV boxes (360 I think it's called). There's a few wireless connections registered, phones and tablets + a couple of laptops, but there's probably only 3 active at any one time and  none are doing anything intensive. At the times it reboots there's usually only one person on doing very little. Have moved the hub to be on the TV cable as they wanted to check it isn't the electric supply - which I know it's not. Anyway dropped out today at one of the favourite times - so no idea what they are going to do next. My thought is it's something in the cabinet, but they say there's nothing wrong.. Ran a broadband quality test all day and it shows that the link was dropped at exactly the times it rebooted..!

Hi VM Team

Has one of the team had a chance to look at my post yet? 

An update regarding resolution escalation, mention below, would be most appreciated, thanks for the support.

“I would really appreciate the VM forum team to consider what I am saying and to escalate to whom can make a hardware and service decision. Otherwise I will have to cancel my many years of subscription and look and the new high speed alternatives, I can’t risk my job anymore but not being able to work.”

Regards

Matrick

• Good morning, Will one of the VM Team be able to address this please? 
(sent unfortunately using 4G from Vodafone)

Re: Super Hub 3 reboots / resets itself frequently

Saturday

Hi VM Team

An update regarding resolution escalation, mention below, would be most appreciated, thanks for the support.

“I would really appreciate the VM forum team to consider what I am saying and to escalate to whom can make a hardware and service decision. Otherwise I will have to cancel my many years of subscription and look and the new high speed alternatives, I can’t risk my job anymore but not being able to work.”

Regards

Matrick

There has been some improvement here although, by the time I submitted my complaint form last week, it was taking just under twelve hours for my SuperHub 3 to stabilise and allow DHCP connections. I also couldn't connect as admin (192.168.0.1) to see what was going on and make any changes until it had settled down.

I have been switching devices off overnight so that there are fewer connection attempts when the SH3 restarts and this has helped greatly but is far from ideal. Over the weekend I transferred a number of devices from DHCP to fixed (static) IP addresses and, combined with powering off other devices, the SH3 came back normally after the reboot last night. However, this is not a fix but a kludgy workaround and cannot be sustained indefinitely.

The Intel Puma 6 and 7 chipsets (and the Puma 4 and 5 before them), despite being designed for the cable modem market, have an inherent hardware flaw that affects over seventy makes and models of cable modem and this may be a contributing factor to these issues with the SH3. Having said that, I suspect that a simple error in the firmware is largely responsible here, albeit exacerbated by the Puma inherent flaw, and an equally simple firmware fix would either eliminate or significantly reduce the problems being experienced. If only I could get a look at the code!

Félim

Good to see some progress on your end 😉

It reminds me of the “software update” my replacement SH3 received… everything went down hill after that

My SH3 is current rebooting itself again, so this and last reply are on 4G🤦‍♂️

I'm in a poor signal area for all of the mobile networks, despite being in a built-up area near a main road artery in and out of Aylesbury, close to Stoke Mandeville Hospital and between two railway lines.

I use Three for all of my personal devices and Virgin Mobile for my business mobile phone. The latter was with Vodafone for many years but a couple of years ago I moved it to VM just as they decided to drop their 30 year agreement with EE and move their customers to Vodafone. 🙄🤦‍♂️

To make matters worse, EE have just installed a new mast at the top of my road on the main artery that I mentioned. I'm not sure if they will be engaging in mast sharing with Vodafone as they do in some more rural areas near Aylesbury but, if they do, it may be of some help until VM port all of their customers to VMO2 in just under five years time when I'll be back to square one again. 🙄🤦‍♂️

For me to get a reliable mobile phone signal I rely on a Three Home Signal Unit, my own personal femtocell, and Voice over Wi-Fi for the VM phone. Both of these in turn rely on the broadband router so, if that's not working, then quite a lot of my communications is lost.

Félim

So you can’t even rely on mobile coverage…. nightmare 🤦‍♂️😤

Good morning, Will one of the VM Team be able to address this please? It's been a few days now and it seems like this thread is not being viewed by the normally quick responding VM Team. Can one of team please escalate this issue as I have kindly requested.

Any help most appreciated.

yesterday

• Good morning, Will one of the VM Team be able to address this please? 
(sent unfortunately using 4G from Vodafone)

Saturday

Hi VM Team

Regards

Matrick