cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 reboots / resets itself frequently

badger999
Tuning in

I am having nonstop issues with the Super hub 3 router that keeps resetting rebooting itself since the past few weeks. All wired and wifi connections drop until the reboot is complete and then everything starts working again. This happens at least 7-8 times a day sometimes more. Various complaints made via telephone to Virgin Media who don't appear to care. All phones for technical faults are handled by call takers in India who read from a script and it appears that they don't have a clue about the issues. I have resorted to taking the matter through ADR scheme through the regulators to seek Virgin media bosses attention on this issue as they appear to not really be bothered. Virgin Media will not send a tech out or replace the router and frankly are an appalling company to deal with. Any one have a fix for this?

299 REPLIES 299

Thanks for coming back to us @Matrick, I have looked into this in our system, I have checked both the local area and your individual connection and cannot see anything that would be causing the issues that you're having.

How has your connection been running since you last posted on Friday?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L

After the issues mentioned above it settled down for a few days but has been steadily getting worse with drop outs culminating with SuperHub reboots. Today was appalling.

I left the SuperHub in Router mode ever since last week, so this ongoing issue has nothing to do with my equipment in Modem mode. It also isn’t a Wi-Fi issue, as this problem always affects hardwired devices too.

Help….

Matrick

Still the same today, multiple internet dropouts (also affecting wired devices every time) that cause the SuperHub to reboot itself…. Takes about 10 minutes before it is up and running again unless I manually reboot the SuperHub.

Matrick,

How many devices do you have connected to the SH3?

I have established that the VM SuperHub 3 becomes unstable the more devices you connect to it and mine is kaput now since adding a new tablet at the weekend. It rebooted during the night last night as usual but most of my devices cannot reconnect now.

I have discovered, though, that a guest network that I gave set up on my SH3 is still working and so I have managed to connect a few portable devices to that (phones, tablets etc.) but things like Wi-Fi bulbs and Wi-Fi sockets cannot see the primary 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

Without the latter devices being connected to the network I have managed to get my Google Chromecast, Home Mini, Nest Mini devices back on the network but not much else. Thankfully my Canon PIXMA TR8550 printer is hardwired to the hub as are a couple of other essential devices. I'm certainly glad that I went for the TR8550 which has Ethernet, Wi-Fi Direct and Bluetooth connectivity so that I can always talk to it even when all else fails.

How-many-connected-devices-are-allowed-on-Hub-3-router 

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Hi Felim

That's an interesting comment, thanks. 

I have usually no more than 15 devices connected, a combination of iPhones, iPads, MacBook and Ring.com cameras. Then an Xbox and Apple TV hard wired.

I have broken out my wifi into a 5Ghz SSID and a 2.4Ghz SSID, with all the ring devices on the 2.4gHz

It's a real pity now because I am getting to the point where I will have to change ISP, having been with Virgin Media (Cable-online / NTL) since I moved from dial up Modems. I should get a "long service award" of a free upgrade to the G1 fibre with a SuperHub 5 in the hope it might work! LOL

Best regards

Matrick

Yep, I've been with them from the beginning when Bell Cable Media first laid the cables then became NTL then NTL/Telewest then Virgin Media then Liberty Global (operating as Virgin Media under licence) and now Liberty Global/Telefónica (operating as Virgin Media O2 but legally VMED O2 UK Limited).

Although there is no mention of any Wi-Fi restrictions in your contract, they officially only support 12 devices on a SuperHub 3. If you have more than that then expect problems with the DHCP server in the hub issuing IP addresses. I have some devices connected with fixed IP addresses which bypasses the DHCP server but the problem may just be it's inability to remember more than twelve to fifteen IP addresses.

I've just spent an hour-and-a-half on the phone with five different people trying to convince them to send me a SuperHub 5 or even a SuperHub 4 but the first three wouldn't admit that it's a fault, an inherent fault, with the equipment and said that the system wouldn't let them send out a replacement hub unless I upgraded to Gig1. The fourth person nonchalantly tried to start the process of upgrading me to Gig1 but eventually agreed to raise it as a complaint but couldn't get the complaint system to load. She asked me to give her five minutes and she would call me back, which she did, but still had problems with the system so transferred me to a colleague who began asking me all of the questions from the very beginning again at which point the call dropped. 

Sorry for venting but it has been a very stressful day with the hub and a very stressful call with the support staff.

All of my devices eventually reconnected to the SH3 but only after four to six hours. I only noticed that they were all back an hour into the callI to VM.

There's more ... but I'll leave it there for now and just ask the VM staffers on here to supply details of how to raise a complaint that doesn't involve dialling 151 and an hour-and-a-half-long call that ends with being disconnected.

Félim

Sorry Matrick,

In my distressed state I forget to complement you on your "long service award" comment! 🤣

You and me both, sir!

Félim

I feel your pain Félim, understandable that it’s getting you down.

My turn to politely and constructively rant….

This forum, to be fair is the most help I’ve managed to get so far, thanks to the VM staff and helpful users; but it does look like these ongoing problems are not solvable, certainly not on my M500 service with a SH3.  The fact modem or router mode makes no difference and that wired devices lose connection then it can’t be my setup or a simple Wi-Fi issue - all that is ruled out.

The engineer confirmed that my signal strengths and cabling are very good, the VM support staff here (and when I have phoned 151) see no problems in my area or work being done. So does this get fixed?

I can’t go down the 151 route again because like you, Félim, it got me nowhere except extremely frustrated and a few hours away from work.

As much as I joked about “long service award”, either something like that happens (my hardware and service gets changed) or I will have to change ISP. Incredibly annoying because when the VM broadband is being reliable (which for me it has been until the pandemic and speed upgrades to M500) it really is extremely good.

I would really appreciate the VM forum team to consider what I am saying and to escalate to whom can make a hardware and service decision. Otherwise I will have to cancel my many years of subscription and look and the new high speed alternatives, I can’t risk my job anymore but not being able to work.

Thanks

Matrick

……constructive rant over

Hi all,

I didn't get time today because of all of the delays that this caused me yesterday and this morning but I will be submitting a complaint tomorrow.

Virgin Media Complaints 

My SuperHub 3 rebooted at 01:10 last night and took the usual 10 minutes to come back. However, it wasn't until 11:20 this morning that I was able to reconnect my devices as they could not obtain an IP address from the DHCP server. Only devices which are hardwired via Ethernet and devices with fixed IP addresses were connected.

How Virgin Media cannot recognise this as a fault is unfathomable.

Félim

Hi, interested in your posts.. I have a hub 3 which reboots at least once a day for the last 2 months, or more. Virgin can't find anything wrong, but their tech guy has seen it happen on one of many visits. Changed hub, cables, even used a different cable to the cabinet, but still reboots. They don't know what to do, meanwhile all we get is reboots... Thought I was the only one until I read your posts.. Thinking of leaving as we're not getting anywhere fast...