cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 reboots / resets itself frequently

badger999
Tuning in

I am having nonstop issues with the Super hub 3 router that keeps resetting rebooting itself since the past few weeks. All wired and wifi connections drop until the reboot is complete and then everything starts working again. This happens at least 7-8 times a day sometimes more. Various complaints made via telephone to Virgin Media who don't appear to care. All phones for technical faults are handled by call takers in India who read from a script and it appears that they don't have a clue about the issues. I have resorted to taking the matter through ADR scheme through the regulators to seek Virgin media bosses attention on this issue as they appear to not really be bothered. Virgin Media will not send a tech out or replace the router and frankly are an appalling company to deal with. Any one have a fix for this?

299 REPLIES 299

Hi Paul

Yes I checked all connections yesterday and reseted HUB 3 to factory settings.

Yesterday I noticed a pattern, when I was only using my computer to browse the web, using chat application, etc., everything works fine. However, after starting the online game, after a maximum of 5 minutes of playing, HUB 3 restarted. I have tried starting a network game several times and HUB 3 has restarted every time.

Today, to be sure, I replaced the main cable that connects the HUB3 to the box on the outside building wall (coaxial cable). HUB 3 connected correctly, unfortunately after some time it rebooted again. So I suspect that the problem lies in HUB 3 itself.

I have not received any card through mine door, I'm whole day at home, so if something like that will drop through mine door, I will know immediately. 
On my HUB 3 is normal yellow power light, but during spontaneous reboot this light start flashing, and other lights like WIFI and Internet begin to glow, until the router goes through the entire reconnection procedure. After that back to only yellow power light.

Regards

robinsonpr
On our wavelength

Mine seems to behave the same as Paku's.  Although I don't play games.  I use two computers working from home.  The pattern seems to be that the resets happen mainly when the internet is being actively used.  Not heavy bandwidth use just a video call on one machine and browsing web pages on the other.  I've lost connection 3 times today.  If I were to not be on the internet at all I suspect it would not keep dropping.  Although I have had one drop out overnight when everyone was in bed.

Certainly looks like the hub itself or the hub resetting because it's momentarily lost internet connection.

I've now had 3 hubs so it's highly unlikely to be the actual hub all with the same fault.  Up until a couple a couple of months ago this issue did not exist.  I've had years of trouble free internet.  Now multiple dropouts per day.

paku
Joining in

Tonight, apart from the fact that the router continues to reset on average every 2-3 hours, it also started to disconnect devices connected to it with a cable (e.g. my computer). Can disconnect several times in one minute. Disconnection periods are about a few seconds, then connects back. I changed the RJ sockets to which I have connected the computer, unfortunately it disconnects on every one of them.

Hi paku, 

Thanks for coming back to us and updating us on things. 

I've taken a look at things today and all is looking good. Your power levels are all within range, there is nothing untoward showing in the area and I can see the BQM hasn't picked up any reboots over the past 24 hours. 

Hopefully this means things are on the up for you. 

Please let us know if this isn't the case so we can go through some further diagnostics 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath_F

On Friday, being desperate, I disconnected HUB 3 from all cables, blew air through the perforated casing, shook it a bit and plugged it back into the mains. Surprisingly, after this senseless operation, HUB 3 started to work properly. After two days, I did not find any restart of the router, and the router does not disconnect the LAN devices connected to it.
Now I just hope it will be a permanent situation and not just a temporary improvement (fingers crossed). I will still test the connection, and if any disturbing symptoms return, I will not fail to report them in this thread.

Regards

PS.

This morning I got again some disturbing entries in the HUB 3 logs

Network Log  
TimePriorityDescription
09/08/2021 09:35:15Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 09:35:15criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 09:35:13Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 09:35:12criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 07:06:29ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

robinsonpr
On our wavelength

I've had the odd few days without dropouts where it looked like the issue was resolved but it appeared to be when I wasn't using the internet very much.  On days where I'm on video calls I'm always getting drop outs.   I've had 2 brand new Hub 3s so wouldn't be full of dust but I'll try the same as I'm at wits end with my loss of service.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Morning @paku

Thanks for taking the time to post your checks and thanks to @Kath_F for taking a closer look at your account yesterday. 

We have however had someone take a deeper dive for us who has been able to check your hub stats in more in depth. Whilst we can see a manual reboot and Hub Reset was performed on 6th August, we can also see that some of your upstream power levels are at threshold. Now, usually this would not cause any issues as they are within range as Kath advised yesterday. However, with the issues you are having it could be triggering a reboot that we cannot see from this end. 

On the back of these findings we have been advised that a technician visit to check the levels at your home and cabinet would be the best option for you. Whilst we have located your account, I'll just pop you a quick Private Message so we can confirm your address with you. 

Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your Private Message @paku

I have booked your visit for you within the guidelines offered - you can check the exact time and date of the visit via your online account. If you need to change it for any reason, that can also be done via your online account.

If you have any issues with that or with the visit itself, please do let us know. Keep us posted!

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Hi  

I replied to a private message. Unfortunately, HUB 3 spontaneous restarts are back today. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regards

robinsonpr
On our wavelength

Engineer #6 came to my house this morning.  Well, it was actually engineer #3 back again.   He was most helpful.  Checked all the connections, cable readings etc and couldn't find any issues with cable integrity or noise.

Some other people on this thread have said they have had a Hub 4 installed and haven't had the issue since.  I previously asked one of the other engineers about getting a Hub 4 upgrade and they said that was not possible as my area didn't support it yet.

However today the engineer came prepared with a Hub 4 after seeing all of the issues I've been having.  So seems the other guy was mistaken about it not being possible to give me a Hub 4. 

So now I have the Hub 4 activated and I'm back up and running.  It's only been installed for a couple of hours but so far so good.....!!