Menu
andrewkp
Dialled in
Message 21 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 no valid ip address

Someone already mentioned but given the readings worth double checking all coaxial connections are tight and no kinks in the cable. 

0 Kudos
Snowy90
Joining in
Message 22 of 33
Flag for a moderator

So this has continued to be an issue, i usually try and reset the hub and router and after several times it works.

However, it appears to be a permanent issue now.

I have spent ages on the phone to VM and they run all of their tests and always draw a blank.

so just to recap,

My SH3 is in modem mode and connected to a Netgear Nighthawk 7200, connected to ethernet port 4 is a cable which goes through a wall socket and down to the garage into a network switch which then goes to PC.

On the PC i have a yellow triangle and it seems to always say im connected to a Public Network, and no internet connection.

With VM i have plugged in a laptop to the SH3 and can connect, i can also connect if i just plug the laptop into the Netgear. However if i try and connect the laptop in the office next to the PC no connection same issue as the PC.

I have double checked cables and cannot see any obvious issues and swopped out patch cables where possible.

So when i try the trouble shooter, it says reboot Routers but when that doesnt fix, it says Network Connection "no valid IP Adrress"

Really need to try and get this sorted so any help, gratefully received.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 23 of 33
Flag for a moderator

This may be a dumb Q but I dont think its clear from the above sentence.... you are connecting the "switch" to port 4 of your Nighthawk and not to (the now inactivated) port 4 of the Hub - arent you?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Snowy90
Joining in
Message 24 of 33
Flag for a moderator

yes the nighthawk is connected to the top port on SH3 and i am trying to connect the office to ethernet port 4 on the nighthawk, incidentally, ive tried all ports and they work fine with a laptop but not my office cable?

No dum Q's any help is good help!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 25 of 33
Flag for a moderator

OK 🙂
Are you sure then that both the office cable and switch are still good and haven't "failed"
Bring the switch in from the garage and test it on a different/short cable directly into the Netgear
Then try a new run of ethernet cable from router to the garage. 10/20/50M runs are reasonably cheap and you can just lay it temporarily for the test.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 33
Flag for a moderator

OK so we can reasonably conclude that the basic setup, ie the Hub and Nighthawk are working OK so it looks like it's the PC or the switch or the cable down to the garage (if I had to bet, I'd say it's going to be that)!

So what I'd do is check that the laptop connects OK to a port on the Nighthawk, do the same test with a different Ethernet cable, if both tests work then we can say that the port on the Nighthawk and both network cables are fine. Then get the Netgear switch from the garage, connect it to the Nighthawk with one of the network cables and connect your laptop to a different port with the other cable. Since we know that both cables are fine and the laptop is OK then it has to be the switch. You can test the cable to the garage by connecting one end to the router and the other end directly to the laptop. Lastly you can always drag the PC up to where the Nighthawk is and connect it using one of the known working cables and test again.

The trick with all these connectivity issues is divide and conquer, there's a chain of devices and connections so you need to start at one end and work along eliminating one thing at a time.

John

0 Kudos
Snowy90
Joining in
Message 27 of 33
Flag for a moderator

all good suggestions from you and John, the switch appears to be working but the light corresponding with the main connection is not illuminated even if i change ports on the switch.

But i will try bringing it in and connecting it in the house.

Plus will order a new long cable to eliminate the main feed to the garage.

I will update when i have further tests.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 33
Flag for a moderator

No light would definitely indicate a cable fault.

0 Kudos
Snowy90
Joining in
Message 29 of 33
Flag for a moderator

John,

so I am thinking someone ( probably next doors kid/football recovery!) has climbed over my fence and pulled the cable, no obvious signs of damage but I am kinda hoping its that.

I have tried the switch in the house and it works fine.

ordered a very long ethernet cable arrives tomorrow so will try that as a temp measure, fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Snowy90
Joining in
Message 30 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Ok after hours of thinking its a software issue, you were right it was a damaged cable!

Which at least is a problem i can fix!

Any thoughts on what is the best cable to run permanantly down to the garage?

I originally had an outdoor cat 5e but i guess things have moved on!

0 Kudos