Menu
sadikh19
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 keeps dropping internet connection

I have checked all the cables to my router, also reset as advised plus moved the hub but I am still seeing Internet connection dropping off whilst using wifi. In particular when using Chrome,  Amazon shopping app and BBC radio app.

0 Kudos
Thony
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 keeps dropping internet connection

Go here in your browser (your SH3 homepage with settings) 192.168.0.1
And navigate to Advanced Settings -> Tools -> Network Status -> Network Log

It will show u if there are any issues with your connection. If you dont see any messages then you are on 2.4Ghz frequency and its interfering with other wifi signals around you. U need to either change to 5Ghz (that one has shorter range but is faster) or change the channel its being transmitted on in your SH33 settings.

If you see error messages then forum staff needs to have a look at them and tell you whats wrong.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello sadikh19, 

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the Community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry for the intermittent connection you're experiencing at the moment. I've just tested your network and I can't find any faults. Are you using your wireless or hard-wired connection when you notice the problems?

Please get back to us so we can continue to investigate. 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sadikh19
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This only occurs using wifi. Thanks 

0 Kudos
sadikh19
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sorry using wireless connections

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello sadikh19, 

Thanks for the additional info Smiley Happy

As this only affects your wireless connection, it's worth taking a look at our helpful wireless tips as you might be experiencing some interference. 

Let us know if this helps, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
naxman
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm having this same issue with the wifi dropping out, we had the hub changed today but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.  I note that VM are selling plug in boosters; do you know if these boost 5G and 2G signals? (Also the green WiFi light on the hub is continuously flashing)

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@naxman wrote:

I'm having this same issue with the wifi dropping out, we had the hub changed today but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.  I note that VM are selling plug in boosters; do you know if these boost 5G and 2G signals? (Also the green WiFi light on the hub is continuously flashing)

If you had it changed today it will be a Hub3 - correct?  If so and you havent already, do this first......

----

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks.  This “confuses” many devices as they can continually flit from one to t’other.   So the first job is to change that:-

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1) in your browser

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on Apply changes. Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should “see” the 2 individual networks and so you can connect to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best for being more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 though.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
naxman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

No, the Wifi is already split into 5G and 2G and I changed the channel for 2G from 11 to 8 as our wifi printer (Epson ET-3750 didn't like it - changing channel for 2G resolved this).  I use 5G on my laptop, iPad and iPhone, when the wifi drops usually I can still see the wifi icon on my laptop but there is no traffic, I have to disconnect and reconnect to get back online.  Sometimes when it drops out and I look for available networks neither the 5G or 2G networks appear in the list - same on my apple devices. It's just as if the wifi service on the hub 3 is resetting.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to hear about this naxman,

I've located your details and there's currently a high demand for our service within your area under the fault ticket reference F005877228, with a review set for 27 FEB 2019.

Virgin Broadband, Interactive TV, Catch Up TV, TV On Demand and your TiVo® service Home menu may be intermittent.

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos