Menu
aeronk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 and WiFi Range Extender

I am happy with my wifi signal on the SH3 but the range could be better as I can't get a connection in the rear garden.  Is there any reason why a TP Link RE450 range extender would not work with the hub?

The reason I ask is that I have tried connecting an old TP Link wireless N router in WDS bridge mode to the hub and can't get it to work properly.  Followed a few guides on the net it just wont pass internet signal through the second router.

As an aside, I did set up the hub in modem mode and attached a TP Link Archer C9 router to it but the range was no better.  My plan was to buy the TP link range extended and plug that in the kitchen to relay wifi out to the garden for occasional use.

Any thought/info?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 and WiFi Range Extender

Unlikely to improve your WiFi. Range extenders only try to boost a poor signal, so you inevitably lose speed. The best bet is to buy a good quality Wireless Access Point and this would give you better quality WiFi throughout your house and garden. I use Ubiquiti kit and get a good signal right to the end of my garden.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
aeronk
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

Unlikely to improve your WiFi. Range extenders only try to boost a poor signal, so you inevitably lose speed. The best bet is to buy a good quality Wireless Access Point and this would give you better quality WiFi throughout your house and garden. I use Ubiquiti kit and get a good signal right to the end of my garden.

Thanks I'll look into that.

0 Kudos
Tsar
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Or (for a cheaper solution) use the old router as an access point connected via powerline adaptors.

Stick the old router on the kitchen window shelf facing your garden. 

0 Kudos
aeronk
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tsar wrote:

Or (for a cheaper solution) use the old router as an access point connected via powerline adaptors.

Stick the old router on the kitchen window shelf facing your garden. 

Yes, thanks, I suppose thats another option.

0 Kudos
ilike2burnthing
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I use the RE450 and get great speeds from it, essentially my full 350Mb/s.

Try updating the firmware - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/RE450_V1.html (make sure you select the right hardware version at the top, should say on the label on the back of the RE450)

You could also try a pinhole reset and set it up again.

TP Link have a live customer support chat on their website which has helped me out before. Rather embarrassingly their last solution for me was just changing the channel on superhub as the RE450 couldn't connect to the 2.4GHz band even when right beside it.
0 Kudos
aeronk
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ilike2burnthing wrote:
I use the RE450 and get great speeds from it, essentially my full 350Mb/s.

Try updating the firmware - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/RE450_V1.html (make sure you select the right hardware version at the top, should say on the label on the back of the RE450)

You could also try a pinhole reset and set it up again.

TP Link have a live customer support chat on their website which has helped me out before. Rather embarrassingly their last solution for me was just changing the channel on superhub as the RE450 couldn't connect to the 2.4GHz band even when right beside it.

Thanks, the main thing I wanted to know is that it does work with the SH3.  Haven't actually bought one yet and I was referring to issues with my old TP Link router failing to work in bridged mode.

Glad that the RE450 works though so I may invest in one myself as an easier option.