Menu
paulg262
Tuning in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 Modem Mode

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on what I am doing wrong.

I have purchased and set up the Netgear Nighhawk r8000p as the signal from my Virgin Hub was not good on our ground floor as the Virgin Hub is upstairs in my office.

I set it all up and had a Lan and wireless connection through the Netgear Router. So I then went to put the Virgin Hub in to Modem Mode. I did that and it rebooted and the light on the front of the Virgin Hub turned to red/purple. But there was no internet connection through either wifi on the Netgear router or thorough a Lan Cable (in port 4 or port 1 on the back of the virgin hub).

So I restarted the Virgin Hub, and Nightawk, waited, and still no internet connection. I also found that 192.168.100.1 did not get me back in to the Virgin Hub (in modem mode) when it was connected computer to Hub with a Lan Cable, so I end up having to use the pin in the back of the Virgin Hub and reset it. When I do this I get my internet back and my wifi works, from both the Virgin Hub and the Nighthawk, but I don't want them both running wifi for obvious reasons.

I tried this a few days ago and then had to leave it running the two wifi's. I have tried it again this morning to put the Virgin Hub in to Modem mode and exactly the same results, no intent connection coming out of any of the Lan ports on the back of the Virgin Super Hub 3. So have again had to reset everything and now I am up and running again with the Virgin and Netgear wifi's

Where am I going wrong.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 Modem Mode

Hi paulg262, 

Thanks for getting in touch,I am sorry to see you have had trouble getting this set up. 

This isn't something I have come across before, double check you are going into modem only mode as found in the link. 

It may help to Turn off the wireless connection on your Virgin Media Hub but I am not 100% sure that wouldn't block an additional router connection as well. 

As a quick additional it seems you are affected by fault ref F006005771 for SNR and FECS (noise on the line) the current review date is 05 MAR 2018. 

I will keep an eye on this for you and let you know as soon as i know more. 

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
paulg262
Tuning in
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Thanks.

Yes I have been putting it in to Modem Only Mode, and it does not work when I rest the Virgin Hub as I have done om three occasions then the Lan cable to the Nighhawk has a internet connection, but then I have two wifi running in the house which I don't want.As soon as  I just put the Virgin Hub in to Modem Mode and tell it to apply changes then there is no Internet signal coming out of the rear of the Virgin Hub via the network cable.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

You can use any Ethernet port on the Hub 3 for modem mode to your router. At least that's true on the 9.1.116V firmware. I don't know I that still holds on the firmware currently being trialled.

There is, however a proper sequence to use when going to modem mode.

1. Hub and router powered off.
2. Router wired to Hub 3 then powered on.
3. After a minute or so, Hub 3 powered on (finding the router in a state of grace).

The WAN IP should be granted. You can check your router logs to see what's going on. If you see a load of dialogue including an IP address 192.168.100.20, that is the router being asked to bind with the Hub 3 so that it can be given the WAN IP. So a look at that dialogue might indicate what is failing. If there is no dialogue, then the I wouldn't expect the Ethernet LEDs on the Hub/Router to be flashing as data transfers (or doesn't).

Let us know.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Only have your Nighhawk connected when in modem mode.

mcgi5sr2
Joining in
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

You could also try using an ethernet (rj45) cable directly to a PC when the superhub is in modem mode to check that it is functioning correctly.

0 Kudos
paulg262
Tuning in
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi mcgi5sr2

Thanks that is exactly what I have done ethernet cable direct form Virgin Superhub to computer when the Virgin Hub is in modem mode and there is no internet connection.
0 Kudos
paulg262
Tuning in
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Tried that and it still doesnt work. so I have to reset everything.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@paulg262wrote:
Hi mcgi5sr2

Thanks that is exactly what I have done ethernet cable direct form Virgin Superhub to computer when the Virgin Hub is in modem mode and there is no internet connection.

What was your startup sequence?  It should be the same as I described for the router in my earlier post.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
paulg262
Tuning in
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sequence is as you described:
1. Hub and router powered off.
2. Router wired to Hub 3 then powered on.
3. After a minute or so, Hub 3 powered on (finding the router in a state of grace).

The point is that there is no internet connection coming from the Virgin Superhub via ethernet cable direct to the computer when the Virgin Superhub is in Modem mode, so unless I am understanding this wrong there would never be an internet connection going to the Nighthawk if I plug an Ethenet cable from the modem to the Nighthawk.
0 Kudos