cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 Ethernet DHCP invalid address allocation 169.254.x.x

RussS7
Tuning in

A recent update to the Super Hub 3 has rendered all my Ethernet connected devices (Wireless are fine) unable to connect.

The DHCP server issues invalid addresses in the format 169.254.x.x rather than the standard 192.168.x.x.

I have tried to reserve addresses in the DHCP menu - which was working previously before the update - but they are not fixing the problem either, and ignored.

I have tried a factory reset, which briefly connected a couple of devices but now nothing is working this way, only through Wifi. 

Onboard diagnostics show no issues with the Ethernet, external service check is fine also.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sophist
Trouble shooter

hte 169.254 addresses aren't being issued by the hub - it's what the ethernet-connected devices are falling back to as they aren't getting a response via dhcp.

when you connect a device to an ethernet port on the hub do the link lights light up?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

sophist
Trouble shooter

if the problem persists then by all means press VM for a replacement hub, but honestly, you'll have a vastly better long term experience if you bite the bullet and invest in your own wifi router & put the hub in modem mode.. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

sophist
Trouble shooter

hte 169.254 addresses aren't being issued by the hub - it's what the ethernet-connected devices are falling back to as they aren't getting a response via dhcp.

when you connect a device to an ethernet port on the hub do the link lights light up?

g0akc
Problem sorter

Indeed - sounds like you're not getting a valid connection to and response from the DHCP server - which could be because your Ethernet connection is bad or various other reasons.  Devices will fall back to that IP address range - local link block in the RFC from what I recall....

You can do various troubleshooting.

I'd start by rebooting the hub and going from there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Apologies, yes - that is right. It is reverting to Local Link address.

When I connect directly to the super Hub 3, the Green LED on the port comes on, and blinks - but very slowly.

In network and sharing centre on my PC 'Local Area Connection Status' states "no network access".

I have tried re-starting both my Ethernet connected devices, as well as the Super hub 3, and have even reset the super hub in the hope that a fresh start would help - to no avail.

Super hub 3.0 is running software version - 9.1.1912.304 according to the admin, info page.

sophist
Trouble shooter

There are posts from other users that describe the ethernet ports on hub3s failing but the fact that you're getting a link light shows that it's working (to an extent...)

What happens if you hardcode the IP address on an ethernet-connected device to something like 192.168.0.250 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.0.1)?

Can you ping the hub? can you ping any other devices that are connected to the hub? Do you see anything in the arp table on the pc (arp -a in a command prompt)

Thanks for your help tehwolf.

I have restarted (not reset this time) the Super Hub 3 AGAIN, and have some devices connected with DHCP, including the PC which was not connecting previously.. I have been here before though - it is almost as if it gives up after a few minutes...

As it stands, I can ping all, and see sensible arp list, however I can only see the 2 devices (one reserved IP, other not) that I have recently connected or restarted on the network - I guess they will need to time out their previous DHCP lease before they can obtain a new address.

Weirdly, in "Local Area connection status" it says the "IPv4 Connectivity: "No network Access" - even though it is connecting.

I'll try re-connecting / restarting other devices and see if they pick up, but I won't be surprised if they drop out again...

sophist
Trouble shooter

if the problem persists then by all means press VM for a replacement hub, but honestly, you'll have a vastly better long term experience if you bite the bullet and invest in your own wifi router & put the hub in modem mode.. 

Thanks - I agree.

It is weird how it is suddenly started doing this. The hub has been fine in this respect for years, and I noticed that various devices could not connect except via wifi this week...

It lost Ethernet connectivity again after about 1 hour..

Unplugging any devices that can't connect to ensure they connect via wifi if possible.

I'll report to Virgin, but I don't expect a fix for it unless they can replicate, but find that unlikely. So either a new super hub or move to modem mode & buy my own it is.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Modem mode may not help you if its a fault with the hub.

Reset the hub again don't change any setting and one wired PC see if it connects and stays connected.

---------------------------------------------------------------