Menu
bostoncat
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 2 Wifi connection continuously drops

I have always had an intermittent wifi issue with the above hub since I upgraded (which was pretty much as soon as it came out), has always been an inconvenience but something I have lived with it.

For example, you would be surfing the web and it would seem to lose the connection before suddenly coming back to life. It would not matter what device you are on (android phone, ipad, laptop), the wifi signal is there but not much happens.

It does not matter whether you are sitting next to the router or are in another room (although wifi range is terrible).

The position of the router has not changed for about 10 years, before this one I had the fantastic Super Hub 1 which never had an issue. I have tried to plug this back in but sadly I think it has been deactivated.

Recently though this has become a significant issue as I work from home a lot more and need to RDC to my work pc. However, approximately every few minutes I get the dreaded "The connection has been lost. Attempting to reconnect your session." After about 2 attempts it reconnects and I can carry on.

It is seriously impacting my ability to work, so thought I would ring Virgin customer services for help but unfortunately they have not been of any use. If I get told to turn my hub off, wait 60 seconds then turn it back on one more time I am sure my head would explode!

There only other solution they offered is that I permanently use an Ethernet cable, however, this does kind of defeat the object of having a wireless hub.

I am pretty sure that either the hub is faulty or is just not particularly very good. I refuse to pay £25 for a Super Hub 3 seeing as the hardware I currently have has never been fit for purpose.

The last throw of the dice is that it might be the case that I just need to change some of the hub settings (my neighbour has the same hub and they are fine, but might be a clashing issue?) and am happy to fiddle with the channel settings etc to rule this out. Again customer service are unable to give any guidance except ….. turn your hub off, wait 60 seconds…!!

Before I leave Virgin and go elsewhere, if someone has had a similar experience and have a fix for this then that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 2 Wifi connection continuously drops

Hello bostoncat, 

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the Community 😄

Sorry for your connection problems, I completely appreciate it's frustrating. I've just tested your network and I can see that we're working on an SNR fault in your area under ref: F006248120 and we're hoping to have this fixed on the 5th June. 

Please bump this post on or after the 5th if you're still struggling. 

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
bostoncat
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your reply.

There is a fault which started today and is causing intermittent issues, however, the continuous dropping of my wifi has been ever since I upgraded to your Super Hub 2 modem (over a year ago).

The broadband phone support I received was dreadful with the solution that I must always use an ethernet cable, which kind of goes against having wifi. I was short to the lady with whom I spoke to and do apologise, but she was just reading rather loudly from a worksheet and not listening. The issue will not be fixed by turning the modem off and on, the issue IS the modem which I have had since day one! Sorry, rant over.

From reading online there is a known latency issue with the Super Hub 2, and my hub has shown all the symptoms. It has never worked well but I have always lived with this, but it is now much more prevalent since I have started working from home more often.

I have since contacted your support via online, who offered to send out a replacement hub (Super Hub 3) for a £25 fee.

However, I refuse to pay anything to replace something which is replacing something which has never been fit for purpose.

I am now looking at alternative options, which includes buying my own wifi router to bypass the terrible super hub 2 wifi (via modem modem) to see whether this resolves the latency.

Kind regards

Phil Laughton

0 Kudos
bostoncat
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So .... decided to purchase a wireless router and have switched the superhub 2 to modem mode. Am on 100mb with Virgin, interesting results, the top entry is with new setup and all others using the wireless on the VM supplied “super” hub:

D53ADA2E-E245-4A47-9D1F-687C173FE690.jpeg

I only spent £60 on Amazon for my new Netgear router. The improvement in wireless speed and signal strength is sensational.

Will test out my latency issues next week and post an update on this. Will also do another speed test just in case this one was a one off!!

As so many users have said, the VM kit is dreadful and an embarrassment. Perhaps we were just all unlucky and had faulty routers???

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for updating the thread bostoncat, 

Please feel free to let us know if we can assist with anything further. 

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
bostoncat
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thought I would leave it several weeks and my wireless connection has been amazing. With the new wireless router I have had not any connection drops and the speed increase is so noticeable (still getting just over 100mb, the speed I pay for).

I feel personally let down by Virgin, in that I have a faulty hub and their solution was to use an Ethernet cable. Great, I will lay a cable from my lounge, down the hallway, up the stairs, across the landing and into my office!

Virgin customer service in recent years has not been great (not saying that they are any worse than other tv/broadband providers). Reminds me several years ago I had no internet for over 2 months. Reason being there was an intermittent fault in my area, as it was only intermittent it was deemed low priority and the resolution time kept being pushed back. For me the intermittent fault was permanent .... I was told that they would not send an engineer out until after the fault was fixed and still had an issue. Luckily I had a backup broadband via BT, but after 2 months of waiting for the fault to be resolved I ended up terminating my contract with Virgin. Only then did I get listened to, an engineer was sent out who discovered an issue in the main street box to my house (was only affecting me, loose wire!). Was disgraceful the whole affair. On a positive note the after support was great and I was refunded 2 months broadband and think I got a credit note for all the inconvenience.

In this instance they are refusing to send a replacement hub unless I pay for it, instead of paying them I have spent money to sort out their faulty equipment and prove that there is an issue with their hardware. Do I really need to terminate my contract again just to be heard?

0 Kudos
lemaitrealso
Just joined
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So before I went on holiday I noticed that my connection drops and I need to switch off the router, start again, only to happen again within minutes. It worked absolutely fine when I went away. I am absolutely appalled by this experience as I can't use my phone wifi at home anymore yet I pay a monthly subscription that should largely cover a good wifi. Why is this? I have an Android One plus Two. Please investigate and fix asap. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there lemaitrealso,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies you are having an issue with the broadband connection.

I've run some tests, the line and hub have come back as fine with no errors. The router is only showing as being online for a short time, however there have been no time-outs reported.

Do you leave the router turned on at all times? When the internet disconnects do any lights change on the router at all? Does the wired connection still work ok?

Speak soon
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos