cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super HUB 3 permanent RED light

Cire
On our wavelength

This HUB 3 was installed May 2017 and I've had no issues with it until last week.  It was working fine on 31 August 21, but next morning there was no internet.  I rebooted it and followed the instructions on the Virginmedia help page, including trying to reset to factory settings - but it didn't even do that.  Nothing worked other than the red light flashing, then going off, before holding solid again.

An hour later internet resumed but the router still showed a solid red bar.  So I phoned 150 and spoke to a foreign lady who told me to ignore the red light, and as I had an internet connection, there was nothing wrong!  I asked her to do a remote reboot, explaining that I know how the icon lights show on reboot and have never had a red light before.  After the remote reboot, she asked if I had internet access, and when I said yes, she said that everything was working and nothing wrong,  but if I wanted to I could monitor the situation and come back if I was worried.

Well, I am worried, because other posts here seem to indicate that a red light could be a warning of overheating.  I've left the router off overnight, but it still shows a red light on booting up from cold.

Our WiFi in the house is also intermittent now and I really would like some help, please.  I really don't want to have to phone 150 again, because I feel they're just reading off a script and not listening to me.

Thank you in anticipation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
Yup - you need a new hub.

If you are in router mode (sounds like you are) then a red light means either the hub is overheating or thinks it is overheating (due to a faulty sensor).

VM need to book a tech visit to swap out the hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

lotharmat
Community elder
Yup - you need a new hub.

If you are in router mode (sounds like you are) then a red light means either the hub is overheating or thinks it is overheating (due to a faulty sensor).

VM need to book a tech visit to swap out the hub.

Hi Cire,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry that you're experiencing difficulties getting the help you require from our team. This is not the service we are aiming to provide.

Looking through your post, you advised that your hub has suddenly started to show a solid red bar, this is indeed an indication of the hub over heating as our valued member @lotharmat has pointed out. For more information about what the lights mean on your hub check the link here.

Due to this and for safety reasons we will need to get this looked in to for you. I will pop you over a private chat to take some details from you. 

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Cire
On our wavelength

Hi Jodi,  thank you so much for your fast response!  I've responded to your PM - thank you.

Many thanks Cire,

I have now booked you in an appointment for an engineers visit. I have sent you a private message with the time and date.

If you wish to change this appointment please use the link here.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Cire
On our wavelength

Thank you so much, Jodi.  Engineer appointment date is fine 🙂

lotharmat
Community elder

Keep us posted on how it goes!

You're most welcome Cire,

Please keep us posted with how the visit goes and what the technician does. 

If you need any further assistance with anything, please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Cire
On our wavelength

Hi Jodi and Lotharmat 🙂

I'm pleased to report the Engineer came today, very friendly and efficient.  Checked the hub and agreed it needed replaced.  So now have a new Hub 3 and no red light 🙂

Thank you both of you for your help.  Wish I had come here before I phoned 150 🙂

Best regards

lotharmat
Community elder

Brilliant! Glad to be able to help!