cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden problems with 5GHz with Hub3

Bonfi96
Joining in

Hey! For the past few weeks our Hub 3 has been behaving weirdly. I used to get 100mbps in my room with all my devices as they can all use the ac standard but now, even if I get a strong signal it barely works, when it does, while other times my devices report "connected but no internet connection". We've tried a reset already but it did not solve anything, the settings are the same as when I got full speeds. The 2.4GHz seems to work fine though so I wonder what could have happened.

No other thing changed, router is always in the same place, no microwaves or interference nearby, ...

We usually have around 15 devices connected but they are rarely used at the same time, the issue is also present at 4am in the morning when everyone is sleeping 😅

I quite tech savy so I tried everything I could with the settings & configuration but no results sadly. I've ran out of ideas 😕

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you given the two bands their own SSID's in the settings?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah tried that already 😕 Before having issues I also had my network adapter set up to only connect to the 5GHz band and never had problems with the same SSID. Then suddenly...so strange

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you connect fine with full speeds on the 5 when on a device next to the Hub - (try two different ones - just in case) ? And do they drop out as you move further away? Just wondering whether some external influence may have recently appeared that is affecting the 5GHz frequency connection in your room?

If it's flaky next to the Hub then there may be something going wrong with the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use the hub in modem mode and get a better router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Close to the router I'm getting 30 mbps on two devices, I used to get 100 mbps two floors above 😅

Hi @Bonfi96,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having this problem. The only issue, I have been able to identify when checking connected devices, is that there is one device that is too close to the hub and this could be using up valuable bandwidth - as it is so close, it could be better on a wired connection if possible. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That's interesting, gonna try to move things around and see how it goes

Keep us posted @Bonfi96

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

After a few days I can say that it did not help much, I also tried to change the 5ghz to a DFS channel to avoid any kind of interference but every now and then the network speed still goes full KO.

One new thing I noticed is that often it happens only to one device at a time.

For example, let's say I'm using my pc + phone, both on 5ghz, same network, same good signal. One works without a noticeable slowdown, the other does not. After a few hours it's the opposite. After a few more hours it's my girfriend's phone that has issues.