cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden issue with WiFi pods on PS5

AndyN89
On our wavelength

So I have had the Gig1 package since December and 2 wifi pods to help boost it around my house. I have one wifi pod in my room, and run an ethernet cable from the pod to my PS5 console and always got great speed (between 550-650mbps) until 3 days ago..I noticed a huge drop off in speed. For 3 days now I have not been able to get over 95mbps on my PS5. Nothing has changed in regards to my setup. I have unplugged the ethernet cable from my PS5 and put it in my laptop and I get between 600-700mbps which is great. So I know the pod does work and the ethernet cable does too..but as soon as I put it back in my PS5, can't get above 95mbps again. I have done multiple reboots of my hub and 2 factory resets and still it won't work.

I do not know why this has suddenly stopped working in the last 3 days but it is extremely frustrating. I have been on the Playstation forum and asked and got absolutely no help.

Any help would be appreciated.

41 REPLIES 41

AndyN89
On our wavelength

@Sephiroth @Adduxi Thanks for the replies. Yea it is very frustrating as like I said since december up until just short of 2 weeks ago my wired connection from my wifi pod was great to my PS5. Then it just stopped and I noticed it was something to do with those DFS channels.

Is the modem mode thing easy to sort out and how much should I expect a decent kit needed to make that work to cost? I have no idea about any of that

Not cheap - cheaper on ebay. I did that for my Asus RT AX88U. 

Outlay is in the £220 to £280.  Putting your hub into modem mode is an option when you are logged into it.   Simple and we can ‘talk’ you through it if the time comes. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

AndyN89
On our wavelength

thanks i'll look into it and consider it for sure

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AndyN89 wrote:

I made a thread earlier about how I was experiencing issues with my PS5 connection to my wifi pod suddenly dropping. Well today I discovered a whole new issue.. I noticed that my 5Ghz channel is stuck on 108 which is a DFS channel (which numerous people on other forums have said Wifi Pods cannot connect to this channel) and as of right now my wifi pods will not connect at all unless I enable 2.4Ghz.

I know for a fact that the 5Ghz channel has only recently defaulted to 108 as I am 99% certain it was in the 90s before. But I have had issues for 3 days now and I think this is why.

To manually change the channel you need to disable Smart Wifi (which the pods need switched on to work) so when I changed the channel and saved the settings, switched Smart wifi back on..it defaulted right back to channel 108 and my pods just will not connect.

Hi @AndyN89 

I have a hub 5 and also a VM WiFi pod.

My hub 5 automatically selects DFS channel 108 and my wifi pod connects without any problems. 

You say in your original post, "as of right now my wifi pods will not connect at all unless I enable 2.4Ghz."

The pods won't work unless both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are enabled and they are both on the same SSID

The pods only work under certain conditions.

Keep your Hub in Router Mode - Do not put the Hub into Modem Mode, as this disables the Wi-Fi and your Pods are connecting to your Hub via Wi-Fi. Likewise, if you use a third-party router it will not work because the Pods are designed to specifically connect directly with VM's Hubs only.

Do not split the SSID – If the SSID is split then the hub treats the two bands as two different standalone networks (the same as picking up your neighbours Wi-Fi when you search for a network). The Smart Wi-Fi cannot move a device between different networks.

Do not disable either bands – If both bands (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) are not switched on then the software cannot move the device for optimisation, which essentially disables the Smart Wi-Fi.

You should also ensure that Chanel Optimisation is enabled in your hub settings.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

AndyN89
On our wavelength

Hi @newapollo

All my settings are now at default since my last pinhole reset a few days ago but I still do not get above 95Mbps on my PS5 when I connect my PS5 to my Wifi pod via ethernet cable. This has only been an issue for the last 2 weeks..before then it worked absolutely fine and my PS5 wired speed from my wifi pod was brilliant. 

I have no idea what changed or what caused this. I assumed it was the DFS channel because that is the only thing I noticed was different. I have bought new ethernet cable and everything and just cannot fix the issue.

It is just something somewhere between the pod and PS5 that has changed

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @AndyN89 

• Maybe try disconnecting the ethernet cable and move the WiFi pod to mid point between then hub and your PS5 to see what the WiFi connection is like. I'm trying to think outside the box. Then order a second pod and place that next to the PS5.

The 5GHz is faster but not as good over long distances so you are probably connected on the 2.4 channel which is slower

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Maybe I haven’t read the thread properly - but what you’ve just said is new info for me. 

The pod is linked to the Hub (and thus Internet) by WiFi and thus your Ethernet cable is constrained to the efficiency of the wireless relay to the pod. 

Does that make sense?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

AndyN89
On our wavelength

@newapollo @Sephiroth

I have just done some testing. I kept my wifi pod where it is in my room, unplugged my ethernet cable from my PS5 and put it in my laptop and did a speed test. This was the outcome  pod to pc.jpg   So that shows that I am getting wired speed from my pod via ethernet cable.

I then plugged the cable back into the PS5 and did a speed test on there again and got this result pod to ps5-min.jpg

So again I cannot get above 100Mbps on PS5. I took my PS5 downstairs and plugged it directly into the hub via the same ethernet cable and got max speed in all 3 tests. So there is something between the pod and PS5 that has just stopped giving speed to the PS5.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @AndyN89 

I was going to suggest connecting the PS5 directly to the hub but can see you've already done that just now, and previously.

I've now merged your latest thread with the previous one to help staff and other forum members read the history so they can see and understand what's been happening.

I don't expect it to make any difference but do you have the hub 4 or the hub 5? I have the hub 5.

Are there any lights showing on the wifi pod?

What wireless speed are you receiving on the PS5 in the bedroom if you turn off the wifi pod?

have you tried changing the PS5's DNS settings?

Go to Settings > Networks > Set up internet connection, then select your registered network and Advanced Settings. Set your DNS Settings to manual, then input your region’s best primary and secondary DNS settings. Typically, this will be Google’s Public DNS servers, which are 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

AndyN89
On our wavelength

hi @newapollo

I have the hub 5 and no there are no lights on my wifi pod at all. Yes I saw the DNS idea on another forum and I tried that and it is still the same thing.

I have just done a wifi test on the PS5 with no pod and this is what I got 20230303_205919.jpg I also did one with the pod and it was pretty much the same.