Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Struggling with cabling

Hi there everyone,

First post so I apologise if I’m in the wrong place. I’m totally stuck and in a bit of a flap. 
I’ve received my home install package but the ‘isolator cable’ isn't long enough for where my tv is (and that can’t be moved) and I don’t know what to do. 
The previous occupant had old VM cables which are still in situ and they work but I would like to use the new wires as I believe that’s part of my terms.  
Do VM offer a longer isolator cable?

Thanks guys. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Struggling with cabling

You can use the existing wiring if it's still there.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Orlafloss10 wrote:

Hi there everyone,

First post so I apologise if I’m in the wrong place. I’m totally stuck and in a bit of a flap. 
I’ve received my home install package but the ‘isolator cable’ isn't long enough for where my tv is (and that can’t be moved) and I don’t know what to do. 
The previous occupant had old VM cables which are still in situ and they work but I would like to use the new wires as I believe that’s part of my terms.  
Do VM offer a longer isolator cable?

Thanks guys. 

You'd probably be better off using the existing cabling as the power levels would have been adjusted to suit them (Cable length can affect power levels)!

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies, my only concern using the old wiring was with my speeds. While I accept it’s only been plugged in 24 hours I’m only getting between 100 - 170mbps download speeds of my 500 package. This is via WiFi, I can’t test hard wired as I've only got the TiVo box with an Ethernet port but the wires don’t reach! 🤦🏼‍♀️

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

that is pretty good for wifi. you may not see more. to test the connection true speed yoj need to test wired

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You need to test wired. Wi-Fi speeds aren’t guaranteed 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Orlafloss10 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, my only concern using the old wiring was with my speeds. While I accept it’s only been plugged in 24 hours I’m only getting between 100 - 170mbps download speeds of my 500 package. This is via WiFi, I can’t test hard wired as I've only got the TiVo box with an Ethernet port but the wires don’t reach! 🤦🏼‍♀️

What wireless device are you using?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Using an iPad Pro.

I don’t have any other device I can ‘hard wire’ to test other than the TiVo box and that’s too far away from the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Orlafloss10 wrote:

Using an iPad Pro.

I don’t have any other device I can ‘hard wire’ to test other than the TiVo box and that’s too far away from the router.

It may be worth accessing the HUB and checking the 'Connected devices' section to see what band and 'Speed (Mbps)' your iPad is connected at.

0 Kudos