cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strong WiFi, no internet

stutay
Tuning in

Hi

Recently many devices in our home have begun to report being connected to our WiFi (sometimes 2ghz, sometimes 5 - different SSIDs) but having no internet connection. I have my work PC wired & at all times there IS a good internet connection. The devices are connected to a very strong WiFi signal (full bars mostly) yet report "no internet". I've factory reset the hub, tested the line, tried same and different SSIDs, switched 2 or 5ghz off for a while, taken channel optimisation off & manually tried different channels, all to no avail. Any ideas? I'm beginning to think the hub may have developed a fault but I shudder at the thought of having to talk to VM and slowly walk through their script of everything I've already tried ....

Thanks, Stu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it a Hub3 or Hub4? have you switched off "Smart Wifi"?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it a Hub3 or Hub4? have you switched off "Smart Wifi"?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. It's a hub 3. Yes, tried without the smart WiFi feature - that's the "taken channel optimisation off & manually tried different channels" part I mentioned. I used an app to find the least 'busy' channels on the 2 & 5ghz signals and the WiFi signal is always strong yet reports "no internet" randomly

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It "could" be related to one of the umpteem firmware bugs that plague the Hub3 - a VM person will need to comment.

TBH - the best solution is to stick the Hub3 in modem mode and use your own better quality router and wireless equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do need to put a network switch there so I'll perhaps do the WiFi too, if I don't get an help from VM ...

Thanks again John

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you use your own router/Mesh with the Hub in modem mode then the ethrnet ports on the router of mesh units are active and can be used for a switch if you need one

--------------------
John
--------------------

Well VM ignored me, so I bought Google Nest WiFi router + access point & a 16 port switch and WOW the signal from the front door, to the loft bedroom, to the end of the garden is fantastic & all the internet drop outs have ceased. Should have done this ages ago! Cheers John for the advice