Menu
handlep
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Streaming from one Tivo to another drastically reduces Bandwidth to a PC

Could someone advise on this please?  We had a V HD box and a Tivo.  We have just had a Tivo upgrade to our old V HD box, and I now have two Tivos, the original and a new V6.  The V6 is connected to the hub via Powerline adaptors.  All seems to work OK.  In another room my son has a gaming PC.  This is also connected via Powerlines (actually one now linking to the new VM supplied ones).  We have Vivid 200 installed.  Under normal circumstances my son is getting speeds in excess of 50Mbs - could probably get faster with a faster PL adaptor, or hard wiring but for now it seems to suffice.  However, if we watch Catch up on the V6, or stream a recorded program from the original Tivo to the V6, his speeds drop significantly.

Watching Catch up reduces his speed by approximately 50%, and streaming takes him down by 75% - the latter speed affects his gaming to the extent that we have to stop streaming the programme in order to restore his speed.  I don't think he notices issues when we watch Catch Up, but I have only just noticed that Catch Up has an effect and he is at college so I can't prove the effect yet.

Should the Tivo box hog the bandwidth in this way?  Is it to do with Powerline adaptors?  Are there any settings in the hub that I could alter?  etc. etc.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Pete.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Streaming from one Tivo to another drastically reduces Bandwidth to a PC

My guess is that it’s the powerline adapters. Nothing beats real cables. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I’m not guessing!  The Powerline adaptors are half duplex and do not allow multi-device simultaneity.  They work on a first come first served basis and a 50% drop is thus expected. 

I hope that’s not bad news because we’d be rather up schmitt creek without them!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How is the old Tivo connected to the hub?

If you cannot connect the V6 to the hub by Ethernet cable, you could try connecting by wifi and leave the powerline bandwidth available for your son's gaming. If you have a hub 3 you may need to give the 2.4 and 5G wifi bands a different SSID to ensure you are connecting to the best band. 5G is faster, 2.4G has greater rang but suffers more from interference.
0 Kudos
handlep
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for your help.  I hadn't realised that the Powerlines were half duplex.  They were provided by VM because the box being upgraded was in a different room to the hub - they didn't mention anything about the fact it may interfere with other devices.  The old Tivo is connected directly with Ethernet, it's only a few feet from the hub.

Good point about the wifi connection for the V6, I hadn't realised that was possible, but I have now connected it in that way, and while the signal now shows as 'marginal' at 50%, I was able to stream over that with no obvious degradation, so I'll continue like that for now and see how things go.  If it turns out to be not good enough, I guess I'll be climbing up into the loft to run some Ethernet for either the V6 or son's PC, or both.

Thanks again all, very helpful.  Pete.

0 Kudos