Menu
rendez2k
Joining in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Strange networking issue

Hi all, moved house a few months ago and brought my HUB 3.0 with me and plugged into the existing Virgin line here.

The difference in this house is that the HUB is in the loft as thats where the previous owner had hers installed. So, I purchased a 30m network cable (CSL - 30m - CAT.6 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cable (RJ45) | 10/100/1000Mbit/s | Patch cable) and ran it down the stairs to a NETGEAR GS108E-300UKS 8-Port Gigabit port. 

What happens almost everyday is that I have to either pull the power to the switch or unplug the network cable and plug it in again to restore network/internet connection. I've changed the network cable (for the same make/type) and the port/switch to a different model. 

Has anyone any ideas why I keep loosing connection? Its driving me nuts now!! Could it be the HUB? I've swapped the ports around there also. Is it the make/type of network cable? I'm running out of ideas 😞

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange networking issue

The hub maybe focused to run the Ethernet in Energy-Efficient Ethernet and the hub don't like long cables so your options are try the shielded cable, have another switch in the loft with a short cable to the hub and the long cable to the switch or get a router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode. Best would be to get a new router.

0 Kudos
rendez2k
Joining in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks! So I can easily try a switch as I have one here so I will start with that. Do I need to turn off a setting to do with "Energy-Efficient Ethernet"?

Beyond that, what router could I buy?
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

You do not need a router. Just a small network switch in the loft, a lot cheaper. Does not even need to be a managed switch like the one you already have, just a cheap Netgear one for about £15.

Hub3 (loft) -> Network Switch (loft) -> Network Switch (downstairs).

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
rendez2k
Joining in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! So I've plugged in a TP-LINK gigabit switch with a very short cable to the HUB.

One final thing before I test this over the next few days, should my PC and NAS also go into that switch? (they are upstairs in the loft also, currently plugged directly into the HUB)

0 Kudos
rendez2k
Joining in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

OK, so it seems I had at least one drop out yesterday. Watching a movie from my NAS, I had to pull the plug from the switch next to the HUB as it lost connection again. I'll continue to monitor it today, but I'm not holding out hope if last night is anything to go by!

What would be next? A shielded CAT cable? Do you think the cable I have could be poor quality and causing the need to reset the switches?

Or could the HUB be faulty?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Get a router.

0 Kudos
rendez2k
Joining in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

And what would you go for?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

What's your budget and "requirements" in a router (that the Hub3 doesn't have)?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rendez2k
Joining in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Well, I have no idea! I’m happy with my hub except for this network dropout. I don’t even know what kind of price range these things have?

0 Kudos