Menu
Marjolein92
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Strange WiFi network in my name?

Hello, 

I'm hoping somebody can help, I've got a weird one. Since a couple of months I've noticed some issues with my WiFi network. When it first started it would happen once every couple of weeks, now it's been happening almost every day. 

At a random point in the day (morning, afternoon, evening) my WiFi will start having connection trouble. I notice because my chromecast shuts off or I simply see the little exclamation point next to the WiFi symbol on my phone. I'll try restarting the router, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often it just needs time and the connection troubles will go away. 

Recently when this happened, I looked through the list of available WiFi networks on my phone and saw although I was connected to my network named VMXXXXXXXX (with poor or no Internet connection), among all other WiFi networks available I also saw an additional one - in my name. While I've never set this up. I can't connect to it as it's got no Internet connection, but still this is weird. At first I thought I maybe had a device with a personal hotspot turned on so I checked, but none of my devices have hotspots or Bluetooth turned on. Besides, all of them are called "Marjolein" when this WiFi network is called "Marjolein.b" - which I've never named any of my devices.

Whenever my own WiFi network VMXXXXXXXX stops acting troubled, this network in my name disappears. Whenever I notice issues on my network, this network name appears again. I'm wondering if they are connected in a way or whether someone is living off my broadband somehow and making me think it's me? 

Really hoping someone can help. I've searched through my entire house and cannot find any device that could be the cause, and I'm starting to get worried about having my name out in the open for people to see. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange WiFi network in my name?

I would try a factory reset on your Chromecast and then set it up again

https://superuser.com/questions/1228309/why-is-there-a-ssid-b-alongside-ssid

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Marjolein92
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange WiFi network in my name?

Thanks very much. That clarified a lot already - I did a factory reset on my chromecast during one of these episodes and it renamed itself to Chromecastxxx.b so at least I know its Chromecast. 

The link you sent and other online articles tell me this only happens when Chromecast can't find a network to connect to however, so that means the original issue lies with my WiFi - that it drops out. Will have to monitor and perhaps contact Virgin directly. 

0 Kudos