cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Broadband Quality results.

ppolo99
Tuning in

Hi There, 

I'm new here but I've been using Broadband Quality Monitor for some time and haven't checked it until there was a recent issue in my area causing the internet to be down for ~48 hours:

Think Broadband Link (now)

I initially thought maybe they're still having some trouble after the fix which is why I'm seeing such high & fluctuating response times but digging back through the dates, it looks like this started on the 15th November: 

Think Broadband Link (25th Nov)

I thought I'd also share the info from my Router to see if it's something related to the noise/config: Pastebin Link 

I wondered if I'd be able to get some assistance and/or if I need to get an engineer booked in. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 first.

Downstream power levels are way too low.  Range should be -6 to +10.  However the BQM is horrendous and looks more like an area fault, or your incoming cable is faulty.

You can ring VM or wait here a day or two for a VM Mod to pick this up,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 first.

Downstream power levels are way too low.  Range should be -6 to +10.  However the BQM is horrendous and looks more like an area fault, or your incoming cable is faulty.

You can ring VM or wait here a day or two for a VM Mod to pick this up,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks Adduxi!
I rang the number and there are no issues in the area.

My worry is if I call, I'll have to go through the merry go round of "have you rebooted it" etc. If I mention the BQM and router downstream results, will that appease them?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you phone you will have to go over everything as CS are very script driven.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and hopefully act on the information you have posted.

ppolo99
Tuning in

Virgin live chat said: 

"I have sent out a couple of hits and signals to your Hub which will likely resolve your issue. However, it is recommended to reboot your Hub once please and check if it is better."

Rebooted but nothing's changed: 
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f217ee3eaf1dd1dc9e7f15fcae37a9fe290eaf42

@ppolo99 wrote:

Virgin live chat said: 

"I have sent out a couple of hits and signals to your Hub which will likely resolve your issue. However, it is recommended to reboot your Hub once please and check if it is better."

Rebooted but nothing's changed: 
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f217ee3eaf1dd1dc9e7f15fcae37a9fe290eaf42

ah yes.. code for "We have no freakin' clue - Please get off the phone so we can sell some other sucker a pointless upgrade"

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

I'm not getting anywhere on the phone & live chats. Same thing each time, reboot and reset the router. Check back after an hour etc. 

Is there a way I can just send VM the info in an email and have one of the engineers review it all? 

You'll need to wait for forum staff to pick this up.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi ppolo99, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue with your connection recently. 

I've taken a look at things this end and can see that there is no fault in your area affecting you however you do have a prolonged signal level issue. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi ppolo99, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM Just go to My Account > Track your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. 

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs