cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop my hub broadcasting "Virgin Media"

jjo5555
Tuning in

I think it is absolutely unacceptable that I turn WiFi off on my device (we are a WiFi free house due to sensitive health equipment) and without warning or consent the hub, it seems, continues to broadcast "Virgin Media".

I need the hub to STOP broadcasting.

There is a suggestion that within my Virgin Media account page I will find an option that says:
Opt out of Virgin Media WiFi. Your Hub will no longer be part of the WiFi hotspot network, but you'll still be able to access Virgin Media WiFi hotspots whilst on the move.

However, you seem to have removed this option. Please can someone enable this option for me immediately so that I can get my health equipment working again?

29 REPLIES 29

@Graham_A

Thank you so much!
All the other contributors have completely missed the point. Rather than sorting out the issue they seem to want to tell me how to live with the issue or that I do not really have an issue at all.
I'm an engineer. I know about Faraday cages, signal interference, and what other people chose to accept through ignorance.
Regardless of why I want to do this, as a customer paying Virgin for a service I should be allowed to restrict third party use of my equipment without questions or criticism.
As you say it is possible, but not manually through any apps or configuration pages.

I await the response from the VM Forum Team.

VM Forum Team - all I'm asking is for This setting to be enabled:
"Opt out of Virgin Media WiFi. Your Hub will no longer be part of the WiFi hotspot network, but you'll still be able to access Virgin Media WiFi hotspots whilst on the move."

Thanks again @Graham_A

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jjo5555  Thanks, I did raise the lack of this option with the Community Moderators last night via our VIP private area.  They have noted the problem and referred it on for investigation by the relevant team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Graham_A

Again thanks.
I'm told by others that despite the option not being there, it can still be done.
Apparently I need to ask for them to turn the WiFi sharing on and the off and to include a "permanent WiFi sharing disable add on".
Hopefully that is enough information for them to sort my issue.

mjay2000
On our wavelength

@Graham_A Also reported this issue on my end to the technical team via WhatsApp (well, at least, I tried to), the agent didn’t seem to know what he was talking about till I explained to him after an hour , until ultimately, he “raised” a ticket to IT and gave my phone number to them and they should call me back within 24 hours “when they’ve turned it off”. I even have a problem/ticket number reference.

But they should really fix the bug on the website.

@jjo5555 wrote:

Paul0363

You say that I can turn Wi-Fi off.

I have turned wifi off.

You say that I can turn Wi-Fi off.

I have turned Wi-Fi off but yet the community Wi-Fi “virgin media“ is still broadcasting

I was replying to Tudor!  Also not suggesting the hub wifi but just saying that if you use a third party router you can disable its wi-fi with the hub in modem mode.  This wasn't a suggestion that you do this as, as you rightly point out, VM should be able to disable the WiFi hotspot for you. The option was there in "My Account >Change Settings>WiFi Hotspot" a couple of weeks ago but, since they've updated the page, seems to have disappeared.  The forum team should hopefully get this fixed for you.

@paul0363

Thanks for the clarification. Here's hoping.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there jjo5555,

Sorry to hear about not being able to opt out of the VM WiFi, it's a bit tricky to find the option on the browser, indeed.

We can help with this from our end though, for this reason I will need to PM you.
Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. Click on that and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Adri_G Many thanks I have answered.

I would like to thank @Graham_A and @Adri_G for sorting my issue out.
The technical team stopped my hub broadcasting "Virgin Media" as requested.

Just a tip to some of the others who tried to help. When someone posts a request to do something, please don't wade in and tell them that they don't want to do what they are asking to do (unless what they want to do, will not work). If you don't know the answer just keep quiet and let people like  @Graham_A help.

Again many thanks both.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We often and will continue to offer temporary solutions until VM can sort out a users problem. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2