cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still have a Hub 3, can I get an upgrade?

Clumsily7737
Joining in

I've just bought a new wifi card for my computer but I've realised that the router doesn't support Wifi 6 and, after looking into this, I noticed that the latest router is Hub 5. Can I get an newer router? Virgin recently upgraded our plan to M250 Fibre Broadband for free but we didn't get a new router, I would like to make the most of the higher speeds.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In short - no. VM are preserving Hub5 stocks at the moment for NEW 1GB customers... everyone else is gretting Hub4's - until the stock situation normalises.

Best way to do it now is to stick the Hub3 in modem mode and get your own wifi6 wireless router

Good entry level ones are available now for ~£60.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In short - no. VM are preserving Hub5 stocks at the moment for NEW 1GB customers... everyone else is gretting Hub4's - until the stock situation normalises.

Best way to do it now is to stick the Hub3 in modem mode and get your own wifi6 wireless router

Good entry level ones are available now for ~£60.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, that's very useful to know and saved me lots of time trying to speak to them!

Is getting a new router involve a lot of setting up, or would it be more or less plug and play?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its easy..... 🙂

Tudor has just posted up the sequence you need to follow - see instructions in message 3….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-solid-red-light-modem-mode/td-p/52408...

--------------------
John
--------------------