cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting 2.4g and 5g

mickeyg68
Joining in

I have only recently had virgin broadband installed. After the initial install i was able to rename the 2.4g and 5g SSID's without any problem and was able to connect all of my SMART bulbs and plugs on the 2.4GHz channel. Over the past week the broadband connection has been dropping out daily. Virgin seem to have resolved the drop out problem. I have tried to rename the SSID's and reboot the router. The router broadcasts both the SSID's but I cannot connect anything to them. 

The process I have gone through to change the SSID's is to firstly disable channel optimisation, reboot the router, then rename both SSID's and finally reboot the router again. 

The router appears to reboot correctly with a flashing white light then a flashing blue light and finally a solid white light. When I try to connect anything to either of the channels all I get is error messages telling me that there is no internet access or that the device cannot connect. 

I'm hoping someone can help with my problems because I am unable to use any of my SMART home devices. 

Fingers crossed someone can help

Thanks in advance

Michael

PS I'm use echo devices for my SMART home and everything worked fine until now. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Oh well.

I think VM would rather users don't split the SSID as it's one of the requirements for the "Intelligent WiFi" Pod setups.  It may be the case, splitting the SSID will be removed at some stage?  There are some ISP who's supplied Routers are very locked down and allow very minimal user input.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you very much for your reply. I've tried that but there is no change. 

FYI when I first had the hub 5 installed i could change the SSID's without having to disable channel optimisation. Now The SSID's are greyed out until I disable channel optimisation. 

Thank you for trying to resolve my issue

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Oh well.

I think VM would rather users don't split the SSID as it's one of the requirements for the "Intelligent WiFi" Pod setups.  It may be the case, splitting the SSID will be removed at some stage?  There are some ISP who's supplied Routers are very locked down and allow very minimal user input.

Hub 5 WiFi often fails when customers change the SSID from the default.

Thanks once again.

I think you might have found the root of my problem. I did have a wifi POD delivered the other day and it seemed to install correctly on my network. It did let both network SSID's work but I'm thinking this is the reason I am no longer able to split the channels. 

Sorry for being cheeky but I do have some apple airport devices that I could connect and I know I can split the channels on those. Will there be any conflicts on the network if I use this to connect my 2.4GHz devices. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve no personal experience of Apple equipment, but perhaps @jbrennand may see this thread and comment?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mickeyg68 wrote:

Thanks once again.

Sorry for being cheeky but I do have some apple airport devices that I could connect and I know I can split the channels on those. Will there be any conflicts on the network if I use this to connect my 2.4GHz devices. 

Short answer is... I dont know 😎

I have two Expresses on my network - but my Hub is in modem mode with an Airport Extreme doing the routing. The 2 bands are separated in the Extreme and the Expresses simply extend both bands - and I can select which band to connect to on each device.

So I am guessing it wont allow splitting bands downstream of a Hub which has a "combined"  SSID in router mode (hope that makes sense !)

But why not do the experiment and see if it works for you?

The expresses

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your reply. It all makes sense. 
I’ve set up the Apple airport stations and split the signal on those and they appear to be working correctly. 
I haven’t had chance to start connecting any of my 2.4GHz SMART devices yet but I’ll let you know if they work. 
Initially it would appear you can split the channels downstream of a mixed signal. Fingers crossed that all my lights and plugs will work normally. 
Thank you for your input and help. I’ll post to let you know what the outcome is. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thats good to know 👍 

"I’ve set up the Apple airport stations"

Are they the Apple Airport Expresses ?

Let us know how it pans out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.