cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitter Cables

Albchiv888
On our wavelength

Since having VM broadband and TV installed in Aug 2019, I have suffered from numerous internet connection problems until this May when, at last, I was able to get a visit from a VM engineer. He noticed the splitter cables had been connected the wrong way round to the Hub3 and the TiVo V6 box.

My question is, what type of specific issues would be expected from such an error?

21 REPLIES 21

Roger. Interesting. So basically the latest VM engineer doesn’t have a clue!

My suspicion is that there was a loose connection, and when he swapped the cables round he tightened them properly and voilà, it's suddenly fine.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Albchiv888.

Thank you for reaching out to us on our community page, hope you are well.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your services.

Please can you tell me if you are still needing help with this? You mentioned you had an engineer recently, what was adviced when he visited?

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you Hayley for asking. Without going into detail at this stage, yes I am still often having problems which I have to resolve by rebooting my Hub. The engineer was quite certain the incorrect cabling from the splitter box was the reason for the problems I was suffering and as far as I’m aware didn’t change anything else.

Now I am advised by one high forum ranking contributor, that the engineer is correct in his diagnosis, whilst another of almost equal standing says it’s nonsense. The cabling is a red herring!

I need a better quality investigation. Hoping you can help. Thanks.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for sharing this with me @Albchiv888.

I will send you a private message so I can help you further 🙂

Look forward to speaking with you.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Why didn't you say at the start that you are still having problems after the tech visit? Can you post some stats. Example (for a hub 3): go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status". Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP address.

--

Roger. Thanks for coming back, however when I first posted I was trying to limit the discussion as to whether the cabling problem could have been the cause of my problems. I still have not resolved this. Is your response at the request of Hayley?

It's you who has to post the stats.

--

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Roger_Gooner.

We appreciate your input in the conversation, however I am speaking with @Albchiv888 in private.

He does not need to post anything as I am dealing with it 🙂 Thanks for trying to help with this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

Hayley has made an appointment for an engineer to visit. Thanks.