cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitter Cables

Albchiv888
On our wavelength

Since having VM broadband and TV installed in Aug 2019, I have suffered from numerous internet connection problems until this May when, at last, I was able to get a visit from a VM engineer. He noticed the splitter cables had been connected the wrong way round to the Hub3 and the TiVo V6 box.

My question is, what type of specific issues would be expected from such an error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
I'd say "numerous internet connection problems"

(probably noise and dropped packets etc)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

lotharmat
Community elder
I'd say "numerous internet connection problems"

(probably noise and dropped packets etc)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks Lotharmat. Anything else which might affect TIVO Box and or TV?

The cables are bidirectional, so there's no right or wrong way. You might have had another problem such as a splitter that was faulty or poorly connected.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Roger. Sorry for not being clear. The Hub cable has been connected to the V6 Box and vice versa.

The coaxial cables which are connected to the hub and V6 have exactly the same specification*, and the only difference is that sometimes the lengths are not the same or, occasionally, a cable is faulty.

* There are two types but you would expect to get the same type for a single installation.

--

Roger. Thanks for coming back. You seem to be indicating that it does not matter which cable goes to each destination. If so why are the sockets named "Set Top Box" and "Cable Modem" on the Splitter Box? Does anyone know if there is a chip/hardware in the Box to modify the signal going to each coaxial cable? BTW, I didn’t mention, the VM engineer said this was indeed the cause of my troubles. Two ppl have now said my signal would have suffered interference and caused jitter plus connection problems.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you not just simply swap them around at the splitter?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John. Thanks for your interest. The cables were swooped over when the error was found by VM engineer. My interest now is to identify more specifically what problems I have suffered due to this mishap so I can take the matter up with VM.

The kind of splitter which is typically installed is an unpowered dumb device which splits the signal into two, and it doesn't matter which cable is connected to which port.

--