cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split WiFi dropping our intermittently

emmmme3
Tuning in

Hi,

I’ve split my WiFi between 5 and 2.4 due to smart plugs only working on the latter. I’ve had no issues with my phone, tablets, Netflix, etc. but my work laptop will drop our intermittently on each band. I’ll connect to the 5 and it will work fine, then after a couple of hours (usually during a Teams call!) it will drop out, I’ll quickly reconnect to 2.4 (the 5 band will say it can’t connect straight away) and I’ll be back on the call after 20 seconds. Then a couple of hours later the 2.4 will drop out, will say it can’t connect so I’ll join the 5 band again. This has been going on for months and is getting more and more frustrating. Does anyone know what might be causing this and if so do you know of any workarounds? Is it a problem with my WiFi, my router or my work laptop? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

It could be down to a number of things.  Various things to try too.

You can try troubleshooting the WiFi including using a free analyser and so on.

Check you have the latest drivers installed.

Use a wired connection.

Get your own better wireless router or mesh system and use the hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Ok great thanks - will give those a try 👍🏻

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you still have any Smart Optimisation or Intelligent Wifi options on the Hub's wifi, then disable them.   This will allow you to manually set the channels for each band.  AFAIK the "smart" stuff will move your wifi bands back and forwards across channels, and may be causing the dropouts ?

However in saying that, if you need stability for work and Team calls, you should really be using a Cat 6a cable.  That way you will get zero wifi problems.

Even a pair of powerline ethernet adaptors would be better if running a cable is not possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks