cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed variations

BrianP2
Joining in

I finally got Virgin Connect to work, thanks to something a ‘real’ person on chat did. 😊

Scanned several rooms in the house, all ‘Great’ apparently, which tells me very little. Even in the one bedroom where I’m seeing speed issues, it still says ‘Great’.

Here is a sample from the Ookla app on my Samsung S7:

Date                           Conn     Download      Upload
30/07/2022, 10:50      Wifi        200.13           20.87
30/07/2022, 10:54      Wifi        115.62           20.26
30/07/2022, 10:55      Wifi        86.82             20.53
30/07/2022, 10:55      Wifi        149.97           20.89
30/07/2022, 10:56      Wifi        97.80             18.27

A longer sequence would show more variations. The phone sits in exactly the same place, so what is causing the extreme variations in download speed?

This bedroom is my ‘office’ and I’m seeing a maximum speed of around 100Mbps with my desktop PC. To be fair this is pretty fast, and it actually increased after using the connect app! I can now manage without throwing an ethernet cable out of the window to connect to the hub immediately below.

The connect app is implying I don’t need a booster or a pod. The PC is relatively old (No Win11, but who needs it?) and I use a Brostrend AC5 USB WiFi adapter (also fairly old). So, the answer might be a new adapter. Can anyone recommend one that will work well with a Hub3 network? It was never a problem with my previous hub, perhaps because it ran at 2.4Ghz and a max speed of about 60Mbps. I tried switching the hub to 2.4Ghz, to see if it would help. Max speed everywhere dropped to 50Mbps, so that was quickly abandoned. LOL.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

12 REPLIES 12

How you get Connect app work with hub3.

Thanks 

I don't know what the support person did behind the scenes to fix it but once fixed it was straight forward to connect. If you can't make it connect then you will have to fight your way to speak to a real person to get it sorted out. Though to be completely honest the app is utterly pointless and of no benefit as far as can tell.

Hi Yuriy1,

Thanks for your post and we're sorry to hear you're having an issue with the Connect App recognising your hub. 

The first thing to be aware of is you need to be connected to your Home WiFi in order for the app to connect to the Hub. It won't allow the connection if you're on a Guest network, VPN or Mobile data. If this still doesn't help, try clearing the data within the Connect App. These steps will help you do that: 

• For your Apple device, you can try this: Open Settings > Tap your name > Tap iCloud > Tap Manage Settings > Tap the Connect App > Tap Delete Data. 
  • For your Android device, you can try this: Open settings > Apps > Connect App > Storage > Clear data / Clear cache. 

If this also fails then we currently have a known error with some of the data in our systems, that is causing the app to not recognise the Hub in a minority of instances. We are already investigating this as a high priority. 

Pop back and keep us posted. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs