cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed variations

BrianP2
Joining in

I finally got Virgin Connect to work, thanks to something a ‘real’ person on chat did. 😊

Scanned several rooms in the house, all ‘Great’ apparently, which tells me very little. Even in the one bedroom where I’m seeing speed issues, it still says ‘Great’.

Here is a sample from the Ookla app on my Samsung S7:

Date                           Conn     Download      Upload
30/07/2022, 10:50      Wifi        200.13           20.87
30/07/2022, 10:54      Wifi        115.62           20.26
30/07/2022, 10:55      Wifi        86.82             20.53
30/07/2022, 10:55      Wifi        149.97           20.89
30/07/2022, 10:56      Wifi        97.80             18.27

A longer sequence would show more variations. The phone sits in exactly the same place, so what is causing the extreme variations in download speed?

This bedroom is my ‘office’ and I’m seeing a maximum speed of around 100Mbps with my desktop PC. To be fair this is pretty fast, and it actually increased after using the connect app! I can now manage without throwing an ethernet cable out of the window to connect to the hub immediately below.

The connect app is implying I don’t need a booster or a pod. The PC is relatively old (No Win11, but who needs it?) and I use a Brostrend AC5 USB WiFi adapter (also fairly old). So, the answer might be a new adapter. Can anyone recommend one that will work well with a Hub3 network? It was never a problem with my previous hub, perhaps because it ran at 2.4Ghz and a max speed of about 60Mbps. I tried switching the hub to 2.4Ghz, to see if it would help. Max speed everywhere dropped to 50Mbps, so that was quickly abandoned. LOL.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

12 REPLIES 12

carl_pearce
Community elder

@BrianP2 wrote:

I finally got Virgin Connect to work, thanks to something a ‘real’ person on chat did. 😊

Scanned several rooms in the house, all ‘Great’ apparently, which tells me very little. Even in the one bedroom where I’m seeing speed issues, it still says ‘Great’.

Here is a sample from the Ookla app on my Samsung S7:

Date                           Conn     Download      Upload
30/07/2022, 10:50      Wifi        200.13           20.87
30/07/2022, 10:54      Wifi        115.62           20.26
30/07/2022, 10:55      Wifi        86.82             20.53
30/07/2022, 10:55      Wifi        149.97           20.89
30/07/2022, 10:56      Wifi        97.80             18.27

A longer sequence would show more variations. The phone sits in exactly the same place, so what is causing the extreme variations in download speed?

This bedroom is my ‘office’ and I’m seeing a maximum speed of around 100Mbps with my desktop PC. To be fair this is pretty fast, and it actually increased after using the connect app! I can now manage without throwing an ethernet cable out of the window to connect to the hub immediately below.

The connect app is implying I don’t need a booster or a pod. The PC is relatively old (No Win11, but who needs it?) and I use a Brostrend AC5 USB WiFi adapter (also fairly old). So, the answer might be a new adapter. Can anyone recommend one that will work well with a Hub3 network? It was never a problem with my previous hub, perhaps because it ran at 2.4Ghz and a max speed of about 60Mbps. I tried switching the hub to 2.4Ghz, to see if it would help. Max speed everywhere dropped to 50Mbps, so that was quickly abandoned. LOL.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

Regarding the PC when you access your HUB there is a 'Connected Devices' section.

What speed is your PC connecting to the HUB?

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the quick response.

Interestingly it shows the PC and my phone are both connected at 228.51Mbps. My laptop which is in the same room as the hub shows 761.71Mbps!!

Seems to show a significant drop that my phone appears to be coping with better.

Brian

@BrianP2 wrote:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the quick response.

Interestingly it shows the PC and my phone are both connected at 228.51Mbps. My laptop which is in the same room as the hub shows 761.71Mbps!!

Seems to show a significant drop that my phone appears to be coping with better.

Brian

Ok, roughly you should expect a download speed of around two thirds of the connected speed.

For example my mobile connects at 433Mbps and I get a download speed of 250 - 300Mbps.

So with your devices connecting at 228 ish you should 'see' around 120 - 150Mbps.

It will be the wireless network adapters in your devices being the limitation.

Ok, I have been monitoring the hub and there is a huge variation in connection speeds. My phone on the hub just went down to 6.34Mbps, laptop 571.28 and PC up to 257.12. But Ookla says I have a phone download speed of 77.3Mbps, PC is showing 135.35Mbps. Weird.

Brian

@BrianP2 wrote:

Ok, I have been monitoring the hub and there is a huge variation in connection speeds. My phone on the hub just went down to 6.34Mbps, laptop 571.28 and PC up to 257.12. But Ookla says I have a phone download speed of 77.3Mbps, PC is showing 135.35Mbps. Weird.

Brian

Does your laptop get full speed?

Yes, currently 217Mbps with the hub showing connection at 423.14Mbps.

@BrianP2 wrote:

Yes, currently 217Mbps with the hub showing connection at 423.14Mbps.

I'd suggest either:

I'd check if your PC has a USB 3.0 port to make use of the faster WiFi adapters.

Thanks Carl, Ethernet cable out the window is the (slightly impractical) solution I had already adopted.

Thanks for the heads-up re the device, I'll have a look, hopefully I have a spare device slot.

Given it's age, pretty sure I don't have any USB 3.0 ports on this PC 😞 (I would love a new PC!)

But that does suggest that a new USB Wifi adapter won't help.

I still don't understand why there is so much variation in connection speeds shown in the hub when none of the devices are being used or moved. 

I suspect there isn't any answer, but thanks for your help. 

WiFi is prone to interference from other WiFi networks, which could explain the variations.

Depending on the type of PC there may be a spare internal PCI/PCIe slot so you could purchase an internal WiFi card, however these are a little more tricky to install.