cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop after change to Modem Mode on Hub 3

iamSteve
Dialled in

Hi,

I have just had M350 FTTP installed with virgin, the Hub 3 was set up and working with speeds 300Mb+ on Wifi. Anyway, I want to put in on my existing network so switched over to modem mode and temporarily used a 5Mtr Cat 6 cable to connect a single port on the Hub3 to my WAN port of my ASUS RT-AC88U.

In the router, I changed the connection mode from PPPoE to Automatic IP, it connected straight away.

The issue is I then ran a speed test on my PC and the speed was now about 20Mb Down / 4Mb up (Previously 300Mb / 35mb).

The light on the Hub 3 is Red but this appears normal for Modem Mode and when I looked in the hub 3 status page things looked normal as far as I could tell.

Has anyone had an issue when switching to Modem mode and adding to an existing system with massive speed drops?

I think its the router settings for the virgin connection (Previously on FTTC I was getting 50Mb/15Mb), I have restarted the Hub3 Modem and Asus, I don't want to factory reset the Asus as I have a mesh network set up and about 80 devices that connect many with mac address > Fix IP.

Any Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tried connecting a Mac as the only device in modem mode but it was not getting a valid IP.  Factory restored and checked speed, all good, put back to modem and it dropped again.

I found the speed test tab in the Asus router, this came back with the 'correct speed' here is old FTTC provider vs new FTTP

iamSteve_0-1628329677675.png

Then realised QoS was enabled and I have entered my ISP speed as 50/20, changed this to 380/40 and then after disabled it.  Rebooted and then had my full speeds on my network devices, the router must have been sharing my manually entered 50/20 speed between my devices.

So everything looks like its working again now.

Steve.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have just had M350 FTTP” and “Previously on FTTC I was getting 50Mb/15Mb”, I don’t understand this. Have you had new cabling installed, highly unlikely, or have you just had a speed increase? The first thing to check is the cable between the VM hub and your router and you need to check all the settings on your router. By the way, when in modem mode the LED on the Hub3 should be magenta, but this can look red to some people.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Connect the PC directly to the Hub in Modem mode and test the speed. If it’s >300 the issue is with settings on the ASUS

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

"I don’t understand this. Have you had new cabling installed, highly unlikely, or have you just had a speed increase?"

Switched from Plus Net / Openreach FTTC where I was getting 50Mb/15Mb Using the same equipment and set up apart from the Openreach Box Now replaced with New Virgin FTTP, just installed this week and new coax to router installed.

iPad connected to Hub 3 when in router mode and getting 300Mb/35Mb, then changed to modem mode and connected to Asus (New temp long cable) and speed from PC much slower, slower even than previous Plus Net setup all with the same hardware.

What should the Wan settings be for Virgin, currently I have Automatic IP, and did have Auto DNS, but then used my usual manual DNS 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 but this made no difference.

This was the change over between PlusNet to Virgin at 4pm.

97df99a937ca1f9f8db0b5ac009f854add7d7a75-04-08-2021

Tried connecting a Mac as the only device in modem mode but it was not getting a valid IP.  Factory restored and checked speed, all good, put back to modem and it dropped again.

I found the speed test tab in the Asus router, this came back with the 'correct speed' here is old FTTC provider vs new FTTP

iamSteve_0-1628329677675.png

Then realised QoS was enabled and I have entered my ISP speed as 50/20, changed this to 380/40 and then after disabled it.  Rebooted and then had my full speeds on my network devices, the router must have been sharing my manually entered 50/20 speed between my devices.

So everything looks like its working again now.

Steve.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @iamSteve

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Glad to hear everything is working again, please do drop us a message if you run into any further issues 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs