cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific websites unreachable

dzindzis11
On our wavelength

Hi,

Some websites are not reachable from Virginmedia broadband that I use. I can confirm that using my phones 4G is working fine.

Some virginmedia pages return timeout or 404

Slack.com timeout

Several google/google play servers timeout

I've reboted and reset my router and also changed dns servers in case it was virgin media dns but no improvement 

Traceroute for slack.com resolves only 2 hops

1 * * *

2 hudd-core-2b-xe-7010-0.network.virginmedia.net 80.7.153.73

27 REPLIES 27

grumpy_old_git
Joining in

It looks like the issue started around 0100 this morning, because I lost connection to my mail server which is hosted in AWS at this time. I've also not been able to reach the AWS management console. If I start up a VPN I can connect to both my mail server and the AWS management console without issue.

I'm also in the same area as the original poster.

I've called Virgin Media and they've had a few calls about this but don't know what the issue is and as a result when it'll be fixed, so the only suggestion they gave was to wait 24 - 48 hours and it might be fixed.

It works for me using Firefox 110.0 (64-bit) on my Windows 10 PC.

Untitled.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

my connection issues also started at 1am, no improvement since.

Hey folks,

Thank you all for the feedback. With traceroute results I knew i wouldn't be alone.

Fingers crossed this gets resolved asap. I couldn't connect to my VPN for the same reason, so been in a pickle all day with work 😅 , tethering phone connection 

Slack Amazon and Netflix work fine here.

The number of forum members having registered today and placed posts on this thread is quite a puzzle.

Yeah it is not great when some websites are working fine and the VM self diagnostic tests run successfully ... and thus you are unable to log a Technical ticket 

Happy to run any diagnostic commands if required

We saw a similar event this week where the public IP was shown as ISP BT and the customer's speed test were low.

Is the location correct from : https://whatismyipaddress.com/     ( for me it is the correct town i.e. Colchester )

If your Hub is in Router mode try :  https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Also try this : http://cloudtalk.speedtestcustom.com/    ( again does this pick an server that is local ? )

When you run nslookup on slack.com you get back four IP addresses, which probably means that the domain you are searching is most likely using clustered servers and DNS load balancing to direct requests to the clustered server with the least load. I just wonder if the problem you have relates to being directed to an IP address which isn't working.

C:\>nslookup slack.com 194.168.4.100
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    slack.com
Addresses:  18.168.172.238

C:\>

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

radg100
Tuning in

I'm also in Huddersfield and having the exact same problem accessing Slack (and several other work related services)

They all seem to be blocked by Virgin after my router but I can access them via my phone's 4G tether

I spent 45 mins on the phone to Virgin and still don't think they understood what the problem was ...

Traceroute only resolves 2 hops for me too:

Tracing route to slack.com [18.169.61.189]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * 8 ms 10.53.39.117
3 10 ms 10 ms 8 ms hudd-core-2b-xe-032-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.99.125]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.

This only seems to have happened today, and I've been promised a call back by wednesday. If it helps get it resolves and tie the issues together the incident reference they gave me was C-2402231068

This definitely seems to be region specific, I notice the the OP's traceroute mentions hudd, as does mine, so presumably we're both in the Huddersfield service area, however I gather from a colleague down south that he isn't having issues.

Amazon services are all affected for me, including any third party site hosted on AWS (eg Netflix). I also had issues with eventbrite. Sites either take ages to load (30 seconds +) or just time out.

Access via mobile data (amusingly on O2) or VPN are not affected.