cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific websites unreachable

dzindzis11
On our wavelength

Hi,

Some websites are not reachable from Virginmedia broadband that I use. I can confirm that using my phones 4G is working fine.

Some virginmedia pages return timeout or 404

Slack.com timeout

Several google/google play servers timeout

I've reboted and reset my router and also changed dns servers in case it was virgin media dns but no improvement 

Traceroute for slack.com resolves only 2 hops

1 * * *

2 hudd-core-2b-xe-7010-0.network.virginmedia.net 80.7.153.73

27 REPLIES 27

Client62
Hero

What is returned as the ISP ?

What is returned as the IPv6 ?

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

IP Details For: 82.132.239.53

Decimal: 1384443701

Hostname: 82-132-239-53.dab.02.net

ASN: 35228

ISP: Telefonica UK Limited

Services: None detected

Country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

State/Region: England

City: Liverpool

No ipv6 detected 

IP Details For: 82.132.239.53

ISP: Telefonica UK Limited

I just registered so I could make this exact post, but figured maybe it is a national issue and not just me so will chime in here...

I'm experiencing the same issue where multiple URLs and applications will not load over the Virgin Media connection - everything from Tidal to Netflix, and even this community pages URL won't open. If I turn on my work VPN (using the same Virgin Media internet connection) then I can browse everything fine.

If I ping the URLs without the VPN they just timeout. However, other random pages like my Gmail and other random pages I find while Googling can work fine (or not! it seems random).

This issue affects any device connected to the Virgin Media connection.

I was previously using a raspberryPi as a piHole while I have now disconnected. I tried switching to both OpenDNS and GoogleDNS and getting the same issue. 

For us the ISP is :  "Virgin Media Limited"

Could some kind of VPN or proxy be affecting your connection.

Got the same problem and looking on Twitter we are not on our own. Same for VPN - when I switch it on I can reach the sites. This has been happening all day. We also had a general outage earlier but that has apparently been resolved. Yet the block remains.

The first thing I did was check Twitter for an outage - clearly I didn't check hard enough!

Also my Traceroute to Slack.com is pretty much the same as the OP so we might be in the same geographic area:

It ends after a couple hops here: hudd-core-2b-xe-1113-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.7.152.205]

Nebulus
Tuning in

Just adding to the list of users, same area of the country, same issue.  Can't connect to amazon, netflix etc...can get on the youtube website but videos don't load.   

Connect via VPN and it all works fine.

Wasn't easily found on twitter to be fair - just scrolled through tweets & replies on VM and found a few mentioning the same issue (plenty working from home and need slack). We are in completely different geo areas so seems nationwide. But also seem Virgin hasn't noticed anything is amiss - even though it actually affects accessing their websites as well.