Menu
Highlighted
Gaz75
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sonos

Hi. 

I have 5 sonos in my house and used to use sky WiFi with 12mbps. The connection was always dropping out and I couldn’t listen to music so I took the plunge and got virgin 55mbps. 

Since then I have had even worse problems. App won’t connect, music won’t play. Music cuts out. I can’t stop the music as the app losing connection. 

Ive checked the forms and thus far has reset all 5 sonos. Plugged in 1 via Ethernet, reset the hub. changed the SSID names, set the sonos to 2.4, deleted the sonos app, reinstalled it, reset the controller, turned off smart WiFi, changed the channel from 11 to 6 to 1 and I still cannot successfully play music over all 5 speakers for more than 10 minutes without it dropping out. 

Any further ideas or is the hub 3 just hopeless and I need to go back to sky? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sonos

Hi Gaz75,

Welcome to the community forums and thank you for your post. We are very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with certain devices in your household and we would certainly like to have a further look into things for you. How long have you been experiencing this issue? How many devices do you have connected via WiFi including the 5 sonos devices? Have you had any further issues with any other devices connected to the broadband? When all devices are in use have you noticed a decrease in broadband speeds?

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Gaz75
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi. It’s been a while now, I have 10 devices in total, 2 TV’s, 2 iPhones, 5 sonos, a Samsung phone and Samsung tablet obviously not all on at once. I have read lots of advice on here and I’m told the hub 3 is terrible. Last night I did a speed check and was getting 1.7 mbps and I should be getting 55. People used to say that that’s the wireless speed, if it’s wired that's ok but Sonos and iPhones aren’t wired so it’s a pointless statement. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gaz75, 

It seems you do have quite a high number of devices connected considering the broadband package you are subscribed to. Have you tried disconnecting all devices but one and tried running the speed test again? I believe it could be down to the amount of devices you have connected. Please keep us posted.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Gaz75
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I’m not being funny but it worked ok with 12mbps sky over a phone line so why wouldn’t it with 55mbps fibre? Also, with the TV turned off, the sonos not playing, the tablet and Samsung phone off, why do I have to turn WiFi off and use 4G to surf? It’s 2019, not dial up days. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gaz75,

Thank you for informing us of this. If this is the case we would like to have a further look into things for you. This will require a private message in order to look into the account. I will follow up right away.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Gaz75
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I was in contact with virgin on Sunday, the operative said he was due to have a break and no one came back until this morning. All good with virgin so far,,, not. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sonos only ever uses the 2.4GHz band. The Hub3 gives the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands the identical SSID's. One thing you should try is to go into the Hub and then, go to advanced>wireless>security, and rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Also whilst you are in there you should disable "channel optimisation".
Try that and see if it helps you connect - remember you will have to set it all up in Sonos again (as from scratch) as you have changed the network name and password

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gaz75
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I found your post and tried that on Sunday. I’d reset the hub to factory first, that didn’t work so I changed the ssid names to 71VG2 and 71VG5 with different passwords. Reset all 5 Sonos and had it working for around 3 minutes. Then 2 speakers went off, 1 more went off, the 2 cake back on then the app said cannot connect to app. I’ve also deleted and reinstalled iTunes, reset the controller sonos app, deleted and reinstalled and tried channel 1, 6 and 11 too. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Did you switch off "channel optimisation" or smart wifi (I dont have a Hub3)?

TBH - you would almost certainly solve the problem if you get your own wireless router or Router + wireless access point.

Not ideal perhaps - I know.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos