cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone hacking my router

ThisIsntOM-
Joining in

Was wondering if anyone could help me regarding the following, have copy and pasted this from an email to VM so excuse it sounding very formal...

I am writing with regards to my home broadband and router issues.

A neighbour of ours has some bizarre obsession with hacking into our broadband router and setting it up as a modem or messing with the settings to enable them to benefit from our 200Kbs connection but also enabling them to view the websites we visit and also restrict access for us at times.

I would know this was happening because as we connected to our old router a strange log in window would pop up saying there has been connection issues and click this box to fix, it would then run through from 1 - 100% and then would allow us to connect to the broadband. This pop up is when he is interfering with our broadband connection.

I expressed my concerns to yourself and you sent us a new virgin media hub 3 however this one still has the same issue but diverts straight through to this “connections error” window and won’t allow us to connect unless we press “fix” but it does this every single time someone wants to connect or reconnect on a device.

I have included a screenshot of the above happening.

I believe that my neighbour is only able to do this by having the password to our WiFi but I am unable to login and change it due to this connections error window that constantly pops up.

At the time we was posted a new hub I signed up to another 18 month contract but currently we are unable to use the broadband without our neighbour interfering with our connection and using it for their own gain.

Are you able to send us another hub 3 which hopefully they won’t have the password to or advice how we can resolve this issue?

35 REPLIES 35

DreamOfCheese
Rising star
If you're positive it's your neighbour and know which one is doing it you may want to report it to the police, it falls under the Computer Misuse Act.

You'll want to factory reset the router and then connect to it fairly quickly with one of your PCs and change the wifi password to something secure.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub#hub3

chenks
Community elder
the only way your neighbour could access your hub3 is if they knew the admin password, and the only way they could access your WIFI is if they knew they WIFI pasword.

it's "possible" to hack such a password, but the time lengths involved make it unlikely.

what actual evidence do you have that shows it is your neighbour? there is no evidence in what you have written so far?

how many people are in your household first of all? of those, how many know the passwords?
what devices do you have connected to your network? are they all virus and malware clean?

ThisIsntOM-
Joining in

Here are the screen shots, the pop up window is what automatically pops up and won’t allow us to connect, if we do the “fix this” box it runs through to 100% and but does it every time you want to connect...39430D0A-BB70-483D-9BC5-D1F5778A970C.jpeg

EBAD5528-9028-42E7-95CC-ECB961DDCB9D.jpeg

B29C20A5-8591-4F6D-A8A7-2BFC232D3CFB.jpeg

15C07720-B75B-4776-B0DE-89C257354CB9.jpeg

31B855F0-5FF0-4A84-A3F4-BD79B7C33F5A.jpeg

They gained access to the property when no one was home so that’s how they have the password and admin password.

photos won't show until approved.

however, an easy test is the following.

change admin password
disable WPS
change WIFI SSID
change WIFI WPA2 password

test and see what happens.
and don't take offence at this, but choose new passwords that aren't easy to guess!

i'm still not convinced any "hacking" is taking place here, but until the photos show up i'm going to stick with the assumption that you have malware on one or more of your devices.

It’s proving its them.... but I know it’s 100% them but his a computer programmer or something so uses VPNs and is very good at what he does.

The second I reset it, it seems to just do the same.... 

griffin
Alessandro Volta

The popup window sounds very suspicious and by clicking it and running the software it looks like you have infected your PC with malware.

I would download something like Malawarebytes to scan for malware.
I would ensure you have  decent firewall\antivirus software installed on your PCs to protect you from malware in future.

This is not a hub 3 problem as the new hub 3 proves.

If you are using WPA2 wireless encryption using a strong password it is very, very, very unlikely your neighbour has hacked your wireless connection.

chenks
Community elder

@griffin wrote:

If you are using WPA2 wireless encryption using a strong password it is very, very, very unlikely your neighbour has hacked your wireless connection.

agreed, it would take a very very long time to "hack" a WPA2 password.

@ThisIsntOM- wrote:

The second I reset it, it seems to just do the same.... 

the line alone suggests no "hacking" is taking place.
you have malware on one of your devices.