cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone else signed in to hub settings

mpa1
Tuning in

Hi, my Virgin Media app frequently says “looks like someone else is signed into your hub settings” when I try to see my devices on broadband. No-one else is signed in. I have to switch the Wifi on and off to get in but the same thing keeps happening. 
Any clues? 
thanks. 

69 REPLIES 69

UPDATE

Tried again 6 hours later. Login worked!

BUT my 5ghz SSID had been changed to a random string of letters and numbers after The letters VM....

and channel optimisation had been ticked,

I DID NOT make those changes. They were applied without my knowledge and without informing me.

Software version  is ..1912.304

Obviously virginmedia did it. 

Will forum staff please find out how and why.

And tell Me how to stop it happening again.

Hi cybmole,

Thanks for coming back to us, this isn't something we are able to change, this can only be done via the settings page, if settings have been changed you can put these back to factory settings by doing a pin reset on the Hub.

push a pin/ paper clip in the back of the Router where it says reset, push in until you feel it press then hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after and allow 15 Minutes to settle afterwards?

Regards

Paul.

-> paul DN

please read my post earlier today

i do not need to do a reset.

i do need to understand how that hub ( without resetting itself) was able to "reset" only the 5Ghz SSID ( back to the one that shipped on a card with the hub) , and yet nothing else changed. the password I assigned still works,all reserved IPs are as I had set them...

all i know for sure is that I twice f got messages form VM offering to combine the 2 wifi bands, and I replied saying NO DONT DO IT... so they did not combine them but they "reset" the 5Ghz SSID  without telling me- WHY ?

also, FYI,  as at yesterday when the hub was claiming " someone else is logged in".. my service status was a showing a broadband fault in my area, and then I got a tracking message , pm yesterday,  saying it was fixed..

whether that had anything to do with the login issue - I don't know.

but it was after seeing that message that I re-tried and was able to login

I have posted my software version already. 

Software version  is ..1912.304

can u tell me If I now have the latest hub software please?

I confirm also that I do NOT have the virgin connect app installed anywhere, and no plans to ever use that.

one other fact- I was in an intelligent wi-fi trial and a wifi booster gadget trial ( that was useless) a few months ago.

that seems to have been removed,  after i went out of contract and then agreed a new 18 month deal. the trials sub forum is closed now. maybe I greed that VM could dabble with my wifi as part of the trial ?

It's a firmware bug most likely - A new Hub may cure this but may not!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi cybmole,

Thanks for coming back to us and for the update, it may be something to do with the trial I am not 100% sure, I cannot see anything our end amnd as advised it isn't something I am aware of. 

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Paul.

thanks.

what is the status of that  "intelligent wifi" . trial appears closed, but does that mean "trial" software/firmware was then removed from my hub , or was it left in place. or wqas there never any special software to begin with, for trial participants. I vaguely recall something was put there to facilitate data collection

it used to appear in my contract details ( intelligent wifi ).

actually it sill does, just checked

my current contract details say I have intelligent wifi plus and 1 super pod with M200 fibre broadband

I still have the super pod thing supplied for the trial. not plugged in.  

not sure i understand the connection between having intelligent wifi plus and having the superpod. are they a package. the pod only ever seemed to work at 2.4 Hz and its a crap design. it blocks any adjacent mains socket so its' hard to deploy

Hi cybmole,

You will still have all the access you had when on the trial, as you still have the Pod intelligent WIFI will still show, if you were to remove them out end this will also remove the intelligent WIFI.

Regards

Paul. 

A question for those who have this problem: are you by any chance using powerline adapter?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I suffered really badly with this issue but no, I do not use powerline adaptors - I wish it had been so simple.

I don't recall seeing any other mention of powerline adaptors however hopefully others will confirm either way.

i have a solwise powerline pair, only used to get a feed to te wife's Sky Q box for catch up TV

i used to be a big user, but several devices died over the years, and the new fast 1200 speed ones are rubbish with my house wiring. Solwise told me the older ones were not subject ot the same degrtee of reguilation so work better in older properties as they can do stuff that's now outlawed. the moral being buy old, used ones if u really need it.

the clincher was this. We have a studio apartment which we rent on airbnb,. Because its a separate building , the wifi to there was very weak. But the powerline in the  apartment would completely lose internet if a laptop charger was plugged in anywhere in the room.

took ages to discover and then to prove cause & effect.  happened with multiple laptops. Unless I put in a filtered plugboard to use with the laptop charger.

so instead, I put an outdoor wifi aerial with POE out of a bedroom window, wired back to the hub, and let it beam wifi across the back garden to the apartment. 2.4 HZ only but plenty good enough for HD netflix streaming etc. and super reliable ( so far) . the hub wifi on 2.4 does also just  about reach there as a backup

and from HUB3  upstairs , down to lounge in main house, I ran a 20 mete flat cat 6 cable from the hub, under carpets, along walls, across hall  ceilings etc to a Gb switch behind the TV. ( where there is also a gaming PC ) That works well